), they’re small and insignificant, so it’s not a huge asset to the plant. She has a Bachelor of Arts in journalism from Michigan State University, is an avid gardener and volunteers at her local botanical garden. The plant is favored for its ability to grow in a range of light conditions and its large, attractive leaves that may be deep green, variegated white, cream or gold with blotches, stripes or spots. Why Are Your Dieffenbachia Leaves Turning Yellow? Dumb canes like to be pot-bound, so don’t repot it unless it’s necessary. So keep that in mind as you troubleshoot your plants symptoms…. The leaves will have black or dark tan spots in the center and dark, narrow margins. To water your dieffenbachia, give it a good soaking until the water starts to run out of the drainage holes. Is that ok for a dormant so called plant? During winter months – DO NOT allow the soil to dry out completely and DO NOT fertilize! They won’t tolerate the cold at all though, so be sure to move them back inside before the temperature gets below 60F. Dumb Cane Care: Caring for Dieffenbachia. There are lots of different species and cultivars out there these days, and they are all gorgeous! Also, if there are more roots than soil in the container, or you find that you have to water it constantly to keep it from drooping. Here are my tips for how to prune dieffenbachia…. Reply:I find that my dieffenbachia get brown on the tips from lack of watering. Dumb Cane (Dieffenbachia) care is easy when you know exactly what to do. Excess plant food causes brown leaf … If you don’t want to mix your own, you can buy an organic insecticidal soap spray. Oct 20, 2017 - Growing Dieffenbachia (Dumb Cane) is easy when you know how. 2. When dumb cane wilts and turns yellow from the bottom up, it needs to be watered more regularly. Avoiding overhead watering to keep foliage dry, which helps prevent this problem. Many different problems can cause dieffenbachia leaves to turn yellow, including disease, insect infestations and cultural problems. Another great thing about easy-to-grow indoor plants like dumb cane is that they can grow just fine without fertilizer. Just be sure to keep them out of the window so they don’t accidentally get too much sun. You don’t need to worry about repotting your dumb cane very often, they really don’t need to be repotted until they become pot-bound. Any general purpose potting soil will work just fine. Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. Allow tap water to stand until room temperature. Horticultural oil works great too. It will allow you monitor the moisture level, and help ensure you’re watering your plant at the right time. Read the section above titled “Dieffenbachia Pruning Tips” to learn more about that. Some continue to grow in size without every opening. Yes! Otherwise, check out my list of pet friendly houseplants instead. Trim off any brown or dead foliage in winter. And be sure to use a fast draining soilless mix for rooting cuttings, rather than regular potting soil. The plants can tolerate the low light, but grow slowly. If you don’t have a bright room to grow your dumb cane, then you could add a small grow light to help keep the plant from growing too leggy. If you want to learn how to root a dieffenbachia plant, see the details in the section called “Dieffenbachia Propagation Methods”. The dumb cane got the name because there is a chemical in the sap that can cause temporary loss of speech if any part of the plant is chewed or eaten. I’m a passionate gardener who loves growing everything from vegetables, herbs, and flowers to succulents, tropicals, and houseplants - you name, I've grown it! I use a mixture of 1 tsp mild liquid soap per 1 liter of water. Though they originate from the tropics, they make excellent houseplants because they can easily adapt to growing indoors. Why Do Philodendrons Make Excellent House Plants? Only go up one or two sizes in pots, or the plant may have a difficult time becoming established in the new pot. Pruning is an important part of dieffenbachia care, it helps keep the plant tidy, grow bushier, and look healthier. You can also prune brown leaf tips and edges as necessary, following the natural shape of the leaf. Dumb canes can live for many years, and some varieties can grow to be several feet tall, creating a very large floor plants. Other organic fertilizers that I like using are this houseplant fertilizer or a general purpose plant food. Yes, but it’s not very common for a dumb cane houseplant to bloom indoors. Dumb cane houseplants aren’t super fussy about the type of soil they’re grown in. My brand new book Vertical Vegetables is now available for purchase!! You can move your dieffenbachia outdoors during the summer, and they will flourish. Overwatering is a common problem with many houseplants and the dieffenbachia houseplant is no exception. The most common causes of dumb cane drooping are over or under watering, exposure to hot or cold drafty air, houseplant bugs, or transplant shock. I love being surrounded by plants all year round, and that’s one reason why I have a large collection of houseplants.