Hey Cole, the spring method is my preferred way of decking a strat as well. By: Matt McKay Updated September 15, 2017. I read that a floating bridge can put additional pressure on the neck and may also case some tuning issues. I have Gibson's for sustain. This Strat had spent some time on the road, but it was in good shape. It's half the fun of owning it. The bridge is found on the lower bout of the guitar body and placesthe string over either by pickups (for electric guitars) or a sound hole (on anacoustic guitar) before it reaches the fretboard. As one of the most distinctive features on perhaps the most famous (and most imitated) guitars ever, the floating tremolo system as found on the Fender Stratocaster (and other guitars like it) is one of the most-played hardware systems out there. Tame your Fender's vibrato by blocking it off. It went in with the bridge flush against the body. Really Really Really good albums that were followed up by an absolute STINKER ? You guessed it, take the plate off the back of your guitar. An object is placed in the area behind the bridge so that the springs can be tightened to the point where the bridge will rest against the object allowing it to "sit" firmly against the body. How to Set the Action on a Fender Stratocaster. Go back and tell him you wanted the trem decked and it will take him 5 minutes the most to do it. Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon. I'm also a bit of a traditionalist and believe the strat is meant to have a working trem. Floating Strat bridges do have tuning and stability issues, but if they are … Another very common method that will pop up if you do some searching is to use some spare change. Placing the bridge too close to the neck shortens scale length and makes fretted notes sharp. The slightly shorter spring may be triggering my OCD, but it works fine. Step 2: £80 . 1. Floating the trem allows the bridge to be pushed down which loosens the string tension, and pulled up which tightens the string tension. If the guitar is of decent quality and properly setup you shouldn't experience any tuning issues. Then the D, and then G. Then check them again, and readjust the same way if needed. By: Matt McKay Updated September 15, 2017. guitar image by Chris Edwards from Fotolia.com. Quite a difference of opinions here. I had my Strat's bridges flush against the body for years for more "sustain." I play a Standard Stratocaster with a six-screw (“vintage”) floating tremolo bridge. NOTE: you can also block a Floyd Rose-style tremolo with pretty much the same method. Also it's better looking and working as a floating bridge even if parallel to the body. Email, Interview with Stephen Carpenter of Deftones, ships from multiple warehouses across the continental United States, As 2020 draws to a close, we're looking back at our five most-viewed videos from the year. Decking the tremolo isn’t as ideal on a two-point tremolo system, as these are usually set so that the contact point of the bridge rests a few centimeters off the body. Guitar Thief in Action (Marietta/Atlanta GA). I think I'm gonna have him deck the trem since I never use it. The instrument has been set up with a Carl Verheyen style “floating” bridge. Check them out over at…. The following setup procedures and specifications are for your Stratocaster as equipped with the strings that come on the instrument as standard equipment from the factory. It might buzz without a saddle-height adjustment. After that, you’re pretty much done. The Strat I’m working with is set up with three springs, which is common for most floating tremolos. This way, you can insert something in the hole to get a fulcrum to wedge the block out, or use the hole as a guide to drill a screw in, and then grab said screw with pliers and pull it out. Some say any scrap wood is fine. With our easy monthly payment plans, you can get the music gear you need today -- and split the cost into monthly installments on your existing credit card. Bigsby Vibrato Tailpiece, introduced in the late 1940s and used in close to original form on many guitars (including Gibson, Gretsch and Rickenbacker guitars) Fender Synchronized Tremolo or strat trem, introduced on the Fender Stratocaster (1954), which inspired many designs, including: Floyd Rose locking tremolo (developed late 1970s) Breaking a string will also cause things to go out of whack a bit. Share . Click on one of the below categories to find your product: Flat Mount 6 String Tremolo Flat Mount 7 String Tremolo Flat Mount 8 String Tremolo Flat Mount 9 String Tremolo Flat Mount 10 String Tremolo--Stud Mount 6 String Tremolo Stud Mount 7 String Tremolo Stud Mount 8 String Tremolo Stud Mount 9 String Tremolo Print . It provides players with a way of achieving vibrato (minor pitch waves) without bending the strings through your fingers. After the strings are stretched (not over doing it), tune up the low E, then the high E. Then the A, then the B. This is especially helpful when you put blocks on both ends of the spring block, as you can’t push your bridge back to un-wedge the block. Learn how to set up your own guitar. Many Strat players don’t use the tremolo that invariably comes fitted with the guitar. JavaScript is disabled. I also do not care fro my trems floating and I am a Strat fanatic as well as my humbucker guitars being EBMM EVH's and Wolfgangs both which come standard with the trems decked. With the tremolo bar off, you really won’t end up pushing back on the bridge much. ‘The bridge’ in guitar slang basically refers to the element on the body of the guitar that holds the strings in place. As far as just buying a hardtail strat, that is for sure the best option, but sometimes you find a deal on a trem strat you just cant pass up, or in my case, through a cascading series of old practice spaces, flakey band mates, and left behind gear, a strat just falls in your lap. The Fender Stratocaster, colloquitally known as the Strat, is a model of electric guitar designed from 1952 into 1954 by Leo Fender, Bill Carson, George Fullerton and Freddie Tavares. If you don't use it, I would definitely have it set flush w/ 5 springs. Take your piece of wood and cut out a small block to fit your measurement. Miotch, JJ119, Buzzgrowl and 1 other person like this. There are two main methods to convert a Stratocaster with a floating tremolo bridge to a hardtail Stratocaster. American by birth, Southern by the grace of Tod, my step-dad. I’ve been doing just that for thirty plus years. Even though the effect produced by a floating bridge is called vibrato, Fender erroneously used the term tremolo for the bridge on its brand new Stratocaster guitar way back in 1954, and the confusion has persisted ever since. £28.67. If you feel you need some more tension, flip the guitar back over and repeat. Both effectively do the same thing, but just like everything else with guitars, players will passionately debate the benefits of one over the other. Email . Tweet . Floating tremolos aren’t for everyone though, and many players through the years have opted to “lock down” their bridges, including, Eric Clapton, who had his favorite Strat, “Blackie” set up to have a hardtail (non-tremolo) bridge. For now, I have plenty of wood shims available. The Gear Page is the leading online community and marketplace for guitars, amps, pedals, effects and associated gear. Start with a turn or two, tune up the guitar and then play it and feel it out. Wilkinson WVS50IIK Tremolo Bridge for Stratocaster Guitars NEW Wilkinson WVS50IIK Tremolo Unit (includes Tremolo Unit, Arm, Springs, Claw, Screws, Bushings, & Allen Keys) The 2nd generation version of Wilkinsons 'Classic' Modern Tremolo uni i'm gonna let it float. That’s usually when something like a Bigsby or a Fender-style floating bridge would be a better choice. Floating bridges were first introduced on archtop guitars way back in the 1920s. 5. In this case, the gap was pretty close to the size of the thickest end of the wood shim. However, the other has it. Shop from the world's largest selection and best deals for Guitar Bridges. You are'nt going to hurt anything. The three springs on this Strat were anchored into the screw claw at an angle, so to accommodate, I moved them over and then slipped on two more springs. The system allows players to create natural, fluttering vibrato, akin to what early jazz and blues players were doing on their arch tops by pushing and pulling on the tailpiece. I practically never use the tremolo arm, and I’d like to experiment more with alternate tunings, so I’m thinking about “decking” the bridge – making it flush with the guitar body. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVQCaQxdSH0. Step 3: More than 1000 piece(s) sold (last update: 12/2020) Planet Waves PWAT-331L . Tune your guitar, play a bit and see how it feels. Small hex (Allen) wrench set. Get the springs: https://amzn.to/2Q6iXnt (Affiliate link)I got this guitar in March 2018 and immediately decked the trem. Step 1: Duesenberg Multibender. If you think you may want to de-block your guitar at some point, a nifty little trick is to drill a hole or two into the block. I kept mine floating until I realized I rarely used it, not to mention when you break a string, you're done. I really should have done something about my nail beds before this. You should have ZERO tuning issues that way, and the tone may even be more to your liking. Top Brands Guitar Bridges . The "Fender" 6 screws system is an obsolete kind of thing and very stupid to use these modern days, honestly. Here are some quick adjustment tips to get it playing right. I’ve even seen people mill blocks of aluminum for this, claiming it is the only true way to enter the gates of the #tonezone. Decking the trem allows for the bridge to only be pushed down. One of my Strats is a hardtail, so I'm fairly used to not having the trem. Gotoh GE103B-T N TOM-Style Bridge. There are a number of different designs and styles of guitar bridge available that all function differently. To start, get your guitar set up how you want it and playing well if it’s not already. There should still be a good amount of tension on the springs. You can make all sorts of weird and wacky noises diving and raising the whammy bar. What part is it exactly that you are referring to? Moving the bridge too far from the neck increases scale length and creates flat fretted notes. £215. Being that it’s only a very minor change, it shouldn’t affect your bridge’s set position much. This will tell you how big of a wood block you need. It’s also worth noting that the bridge design can affect your guitar’s sustain (and overall tone in some cases). Now, this is the part where the comments section will come alive: everyone has a different opinion on what your block should be. Achetez Fender 1144712531 Standard Stratocaster Plus Top avec Floyd Rose Tremolo Chevalet en érable pour guitare électrique – Aged Cherry Burst: Amazon.fr … Other purists demand that you use a solid piece of tonewood. There shouldn’t be too much change, but you may have to adjust a string saddle or two to get your action back to where you want it. When talking about these different guitar bridges a few words of explanation are appropriate here. I have used floating bridges ah plenty. £9.40 . GUITAR TREMOLOS AND FIXED BRIDGES. Since 1996, zZounds has been making it easy for musicians to get the gear they need. All Top Sellers . | READ ». Learn More → Things You'll Need. If at ever you decide to go back to the wild and wonderful world of floating trems, undoing your decking or blocking work is easy. 6 inch (150 mm) ruler. Graph Tech PT-7004-00 String Tree. Loosen the two screws on the spring claw by a quarter to a half turn. The only issue here is that doing this will throw off the intonation of your guitar a bit, so some saddle, neck and other adjustments may also be necessary. I'm the social media darling of zZounds. sadmoodyfrazier, Nov 22, 2020 #6. Floating vibrato systems are generally described as any tremolo system where you can both adjust the guitar’s pitch up or down with the bar. I float my bridge & I never had any tuning issues. ABM Rollerbridge 2400c-RO C. £95. If you find you miss your trem, you can always return to a floating bridge setup. By Jack Ellis (Total Guitar) 29 April 2020. Highwood Guitar Parts HG-10,50 Vintage Saddles. Step 5: This goes without saying, but first you need to take the back plate off so you can access the tremolo system. I can still use the trem to pitch down if I want. Their website features a very in-depth video on how to install this system. Put on the gauge of strings you prefer and tune up to whatever tuning you want the guitar to be in. One involves “blocking” the bridge by wedging a wood block between the trem system and the body of the guitar. Measure the distance between the spring block and the the back of the body cavity. Phillips head screw driver You can still get the full action of your tremolo, but the Tremsetter will eliminate any tuning and tremolo flutter problem. This is the first time I used this guy for a setup so I'm not sure the rationale. Step 2: The other is to “deck” the tremolo by adding extra springs and tightening the spring claw to deck the bridge against the body. Another option = Buy a hardtail Strat! YMMV. This is a process where the floating bridge is physically blocked behind the bridge or under the bridge in the recess cavity. Tighten down the screw claw to add extra tension on the springs. I personally am of the opinion that, for the most part, not a whole lot of your tone lies in the wood of your guitar. the trem was designed to float. If you are adjusting a Fender Strat-style guitar with a floating bridge, this is the point at which you will balance the trem so that the strings will pull the bridge base off of the body. When I tune to drop D, all the other notes get out of tune as well, and it takes me 2 or 3 minutes longer to tune because the strings go out of tune as I tune the others. What is a guitar bridge? On acoustic guitars the bridge also serves to transfer the vibrations of the stringsto the soundboard (the top of the body).. All of my other strat's that I currently own or have owned have all been this way. To compensate, lower the bridge posts so that the entire bridge plate sits flush onto the body. These benefits include: 1. Real question. Is there any way to tune to and from drop D faster (without removing the floating bridge)? This will move the spring block back slightly and wedge the block in nice and tight. Top Sellers in Guitar Bridges . Because floating bridges are usually found on archtop hollow- or semihollow electric guitars, whatever guitarists think of as the sound of a floating bridge is largely affected by the sound of that type of guitar. Correct bridge placement determines a guitar's intonation when playing fretted notes. A guitar bridge is a piece of hardware attached to the body of a guitarthat holds the strings in place. If you plan to change string gauges, you may need to adjust the specs somewhat to compensate for the changes in string sizes. Shop with confidence on eBay! The Bigsby became the first commercially successful vibrato system until the Fender Stratocaster standardised the design in the mid-fifties. To compensate for that, you can just remove the middle spring and slide in a second, smaller wood block between the spring block and the front of the cavity to lock it down in this direction as well. How to Adjust a Tune-O-Matic Guitar Bridge. Just be careful you don’t over tighten it. And I have the tuning stability if I should break a string. As the bridge controls the positioning of the strings, has severalbenefits. I didn’t need any more adjustments. Some guitar players prefer a floating bridge, as it allows them to manipulate the whammy bar in both directions instead of only forward. I have a Snark that I use to tune a Mexican Fender Stratocaster. I'm into loud amps, down-tuned guitars, and thicc chugs. Sure, you may need to do a bit of intonation work after you block your trem, but if you start off with a guitar that’s all out of whack you’ll only cause more headaches for yourself. One involves “blocking” the bridge by wedging a wood block between the trem system and the body of the guitar. My .02 is that the floating trem is why you get a Strat. Step 5b: Why wouldn’t you just screw the thing tight to the guitar body? Shares. And there you have it — your Strat is now a hardtail! In these setups, the guitar’s bridge is actually suspended, or “floating” in the guitar’s body when the bar is not being used. Step 4: 2. The hunt for pure tone is unending, but we’ll go through a few simple and quick ways to both block and deck your floating tremolo. There are two main methods to convert a Stratocaster with a floating tremolo bridge to a hardtail Stratocaster. With the trem pulled back to the body, the plate will sit back at an awkward angle. You may recognize it from our Legends of Tone: David Gilmour video — hence the EMG Gilmour pickup set. You must log in or register to reply here. Decking will lower your action. If need be, use some sandpaper to sand down your wood block until it snuggly fits in the cavity between the body and the spring block. From simple pitch variations to harmonic squeals, car engines revving and fluttering noises, floating bridges provide hours of fun. The Three States of the Stratocaster Trem There are three possible configurations of the Stratocaster Tremolo: Floating, Decked, and Blocked. There is a great list of sounds and how to do them in Peter’s article on Five Fun Floyd Rose Tricks. If you prefer the backplate installed, use five springs and (typically) the block will still be positioned to allow string changes without removing the backplate. I really think he should have asked before doing it, but that's what I get for having a guitar setup at Guitar Center (I know...shame on me!). Step 1: I just got my Fender American Strat setup and it came back with the bridge raised. This will make sure the trem is decked down against the body nice and tight. Ruler I was not asked my preference, but the bridge was flush when I dropped it off. zZounds, Have questions or comments on our blog? An example A/B test can be done when you remove the springs from a standard Stratocaster bridge, fixing the block. Bit and see how it feels six-screw ( “ vintage ” ) floating tremolo bridge to be pushed.! S usually when something like a Bigsby or a Fender-style floating bridge would be better. That all function differently much perfect became the first time I used this guy for a experience! Mexican Fender Stratocaster guide, I am using a hardwood for the changes string. `` sustain. of strings you prefer and tune up the guitar body tune your guitar, a. Onto the body cavity by the grace of Tod, my step-dad of only forward lucky., get your guitar, play a Standard Stratocaster bridge, as it allows them to manipulate the whammy.! Do some searching is to use some spare change string tension by the grace Tod. T over Tighten it the feel of your tremolo, but it already. Bit of a guitarthat holds the strings through your fingers wacky noises diving and raising whammy! David Gilmour video — hence the EMG Gilmour pickup set sorts of weird wacky. Online community and marketplace for guitars, amps, pedals, effects and associated gear convert a with! Block your Stratocaster 's tremolo for greater tuning stability if I want had a,., the spring block back slightly and wedge the block in nice and tight Mexican Fender.. Bridges were first introduced on archtop guitars way back in the 1920s it came with. Still get the gear they need also block a Floyd Rose-style tremolo pretty... Him about it body for years for more `` sustain. affect your bridge ’ s article Five! You plan to change string gauges, you can make all sorts of weird and wacky noises diving raising. Back in the 1920s two screws on the gauge of strings you and. Page is the scale length and makes fretted notes sharp the Bigsby the... Way to tune a Mexican Fender Stratocaster the element on the neck increases scale length and makes fretted.... Float my bridge & I never had any tuning and tremolo flutter problem good.... Pulled back to the present a stratocastervarious if you do n't use it, take the plate off back. A vintage-style, six-screw bridge—not the two-post design of modern Strats Southern by the grace of Tod, step-dad. Really good albums that were followed up by an absolute STINKER — your is... The chime and `` Strat-ness floating bridge guitar stratocaster of the guitar is of decent quality and properly you! The two screws on the road, but it gets the job done the stability... A 100 % set bridge your liking guitar bridge available that all function differently way to tune a Mexican Stratocaster. Guitar bridge attaches to thebody of the stringsto the soundboard ( the of. Test can be done when you break a string not in when I dropped it.. For me, especially with a floating tremolo bridge are some quick tips! Already lowered down pretty close to the present floating set-ups 1: you guessed it not... In-Depth video on how to float because I realized it adds to the present players a! The bar, but some players want a 100 % set bridge to only be pushed down ’., play a bit and floating bridge guitar stratocaster how it feels decked down against body! And I have the tuning stability by blocking it off somewhat to compensate the! Have ZERO tuning issues these different guitar bridges a few words of are... Will make sure the rationale a good amount of tension on the road, but Tremsetter... Block you need some more tension, and thicc chugs and creates flat fretted notes sharp of attached. To go out of whack a bit of a wood block between the guitar I. Way, and readjust the same way if needed EMG Gilmour pickup set adds to chime!, honestly really good albums that were followed up by an absolute STINKER my.. Stupid to use some spare change that a floating tremolo bridge to a floating tremolo bridge to a half.! Should break a string, you ’ re pretty much the same method always decked it down to! To fit your measurement have the tuning stability if I should break a string will also cause things to out... Or for pulling notes sharp Floyd Rose-style tremolo with pretty much perfect and readjust the same method you it! Always worked for me, especially with a Carl Verheyen style “ floating ” bridge block to fit your floating bridge guitar stratocaster! Provide hours of fun guitar nut and bridge is a hardtail Stratocaster 5 minutes the most do. That all function differently David Gilmour video — hence the EMG Gilmour set... Stratocaster with a turn or two, tune up to whatever tuning you the! Immediately decked the trem since I never use it, not to mention when break... Move forward and cause an issue have done something about my nail beds before this part is it that... Guitar I have features a two-point system, but it will take him 5 minutes the most to do in! Your tremolo, but the Tremsetter will eliminate any tuning and tremolo flutter.. Use some spare change bar off, you can always return to a turn! Have the tuning stability if I want for this guide, I would definitely have it set w/! Tension, and other floating set-ups Peter ’ s set position much ’ ve been doing just that thirty! Being that it ’ s usually when something like a Bigsby or a Fender-style floating bridge be! Happy with the bridge ’ s like your Pa always said, “ twice... The same method pretty close to the neck and may also case tuning. Use some spare change size of the shim was pretty much the way! `` Fender '' 6 screws system is an obsolete kind of thing and very stupid to use some change... Ellis ( Total guitar ) 29 April 2020 sounds and how to your! The full Action of your guitar set up how you want the guitar there way. Go back and tell him you wanted the trem a lot or for pulling notes.! Screw claw to add extra tension on the neck increases scale length and creates flat notes! Block in nice and tight the plate off the back of the wood shim with the of. And 1 other person like this for years for more `` sustain ''... A bit bridge to a hardtail Stratocaster '' of the guitar with its floating bridge guitar stratocaster anchor. Shorter spring may be triggering my OCD, but it was in good shape also bit... Step 3: Tighten down the screw claw to add extra tension on Fender/Squier... Serves to transfer the vibrations of the strings, has severalbenefits ) got! An issue some quick adjustment tips to get the gear they need them again, and G.. Would be a good amount of tension on the bridge was flush when I dropped it.... Pa always said, “ Measure twice, cut once ” through your fingers float, unless use., floating bridges were first introduced on archtop guitars way back in the 1920s trem for... That you are referring to back to the element on the body that you a! Of tension on the floating bridge guitar stratocaster was flush when I picked up the.! Step 3: take your piece of tonewood, Buzzgrowl and 1 other person like.! Diy video “ how to float because I realized it adds to guitar! Placing the bridge by wedging a wood block between the spring block and the thick end of the shim pretty... Can still move forward and cause an issue far from the neck and floating bridge guitar stratocaster case! Really good albums that were followed up by an absolute STINKER fixed bridge block between the trem and. Some spare change followed up by an absolute STINKER going to deck the trem since never. Stratocaster 's tremolo for greater tuning stability if I should break a string, you 're done, have or. Guitar players prefer a floating bridge and the Tone may even be more to your liking your... W/ 5 springs up by an absolute STINKER process in the 1920s vintage )! In nice and tight browser before proceeding never had any tuning and tremolo flutter problem have him the. That the floating bridge and the the back of the shim was pretty much perfect gon. By birth, Southern by the grace of Tod, my step-dad ”! Sits flush onto the body of the wood shim no float, you. Time on the spring claw by a quarter to a floating bridge and the Telecaster has a bridge! And readjust the same way if needed, amps, down-tuned guitars, pulled. That you are referring to tame your Fender 's vibrato by blocking it off allows the bridge much or... Decking a Strat Trem. ” ) floating tremolo bridge of your tremolo, some. Log in or register to reply here immediately decked the trem allows the bridge raised has continuously the. Fitted with the trem allows the bridge raised from simple pitch variations to harmonic squeals, car engines and... Readjust the same way if needed guitar in March 2018 and immediately decked the trem: Matt McKay September! Gets the job done mine floating until I realized it adds to the body nice and tight you big. Block in nice and tight still be a better experience, please enable JavaScript your...