Home Home & Living Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning Tips. Wine Bottle Trap. Apple Cider Vinegar and Plastic Wrap. Yes, you! I like the way you set your traps up, mine are not as pretty as … © Copyright 2020, Our Top 20 Most Cherished Christmas Cookies, Make-Ahead Breakfast Minis to Save Your Mornings, 15 Classic Sandwiches That Make Lunch Legendary, 14 Nights of Dinner Ideas All Under $2 Per Serving, 15 No-Yeast Breads for Quick and Easy Baking, 10 Easy Christmas Cookies for Once-a-Year Bakers, 10 Chicken Stew Recipes That Make for Comforting Dinners, 10 Leftover Turkey Meals to Freeze for Quick Weeknight Dinners, 16 Mom-Approved Christmas Cookies to Sweeten the Season, 18 Spicy Korean Recipes That Showcase Gochujang Chile Paste. How to make it: Combine 1/2 cup milk with 2 teaspoons granulated sugar. However, the fruit flies didn’t seem to mind when the vinegar became increasingly diluted. Apple cider vinegar is the fruit fly trap hack you hear about most often (because it works!). Crack black pepper over the top. You can even use a combination of a few splashes of vinegar and water and a drop or so of fruit-scented dish soap. Be sure to throw away rotten produce before your little friends move in for good. Grab a cone-shaped coffee filter and poke a small hole in the bottom. For this DIY fruit fly trap, pour a little apple cider vinegar into a … For those who do not want to spend so much money buying commercial fruit fly traps, making some at home can be a great idea. Now that you've got the fruit flies under control, enjoy all the fresh fruit recipes your heart desires. Bait the trap by putting a little bit of something yummy in the bottom of the container. Heat it on the stove or in the microwave, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves. Fruit flies will fly into the glass, pass through the hole in the baggie, and become trapped. I Googled “homemade fruit fly traps” and felt slightly relieved to discover a long list of folk remedies. These little buggers linger on produce and are brought into your home when you unpack your grocery goodies. Vanessa Greaves, The World's Greatest Fruit Fly Trap Is Hiding in Your Cupboard. I was sure it was going to win. 1) buzzed right over. Cover the top of the jar with a small square of plastic wrap and tie it closed with string. Your Homemade Fruit Fly Trap is a great idea. But I also think Trap No. Since both the homemade types and the commercial ones work the same way, making one yourself can save you quite a lot of money. From the outset, this particular fly trap is at its most subtle. Let your tap run until the water is steaming hot, then blast it into the glass so a thick layer of bubbles forms on top. ), Potential benefits: Uses common household items, a good way to use up milk that’s close to expiring. DIY Fruit Fly Trap | Source: Whole New Mom. Christina is an Assistant Editor for Taste of Home, specializing in content creation and SEO optimization. When I removed the coffee filter the next morning, there were more living fruit flies than dead ones in this trap. Potential benefits: Quick to set up, uses common household items, easy cleanup. Obviously, I wasn’t the only person to fail at keeping fruit flies at bay. Fruit flies like fruit, so what better to lure them into a trap than…fruit? Then, take your glass jar and add the half cup of apple cider vinegar to it. Heat it on the stove or in the microwave, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves. I’d noticed most of the fruit flies were hanging out near the vinegars in my pantry (did you know vinegar lasts forever? this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Think again. If you are worrying about finding the right way to combat the fruit fly issue, … Related Products. Sure, it uses more vinegar, but the bubbles last much longer, making fruit fly killing a hands-off event. This homemade fruit fly trap and bait mixture is the perfect solution to a common problem. What's not so great? Tightly cover the bowl with plastic wrap and secure with a rubber band. When she isn't at TOH HQ, she's likely trying gluten- and dairy-free recipes, canning whatever's in season, listening to anything with a fiddle, or playing Uno with her family. I was sure it was going to win. You can clean out the jar and pour in fresh vinegar (and a drop of liquid soap) from time to time, and enjoy your fruit-fly-free kitchen for the rest of the summer. This guide to cooking roast beef will help you create a flavorful, moist, and tender roast. Fruit flies are usually brought in by you. I was inordinately happy (gleeful, really) to see the death toll mounting each time I checked this trap during the day. Rotted Fruit Once you get rid of their source, you can use a DIY trap to attract the fruit flies and make it impossible for them to escape. 1). Is a Dyson Vacuum Really Worth the Money? Fruit flies can (and will) continue breeding within trash bags, drains and garbage disposals. A homemade fruit fly trap can also be made from a dish, glass, empty jar, or just about any other type of container. Or maybe I neglected to empty our compost bucket for a little too long and some of those awful pests with their sense-of-smell superpowers shimmied their way through a screen. Use a few ounces of unfiltered apple cider vinegar, sweet fruit juice, leftover wine, rotted fruit or a single banana slice to entice the insects. Toss out any overripe fruit that may be attracting fruit flies. Maybe you’ll have more luck. The flies will come in for a drink and won’t be able to get out. As you can see from the photo, I used a juice glass, which meant I had to refresh the bubbles a few times. Add 2-3 drops of dish soap liquid into it. Add a drop of liquid dish soap. Regularly empty and refill the trap. Tightly cover the bowl with plastic wrap and secure with a rubber band. That's where the apple cider vinegar comes in; the aroma entices them to enter the jar through the holes in the plastic covering. A small amount of fruit fly bait is added to the bottom of the container. (Do you know the benefits of eating fermented foods?). Maybe some stowaway fruit fly eggs arrived on a bunch of bananas from the grocery store. Potential benefits: Gives rotting fruit a new use, a valid excuse to dump a beer you’re not a fan of, How to make it: Put a piece of rotten banana in a jar. I didn’t just want to make one type of trap, I wanted to try a bunch so I could end the invasion once and for all. My take: While I was preparing the other traps, fruit flies were already coming over to investigate this one. Place the jar in your kitchen where the fruit flies like to congregate and walk away for a few hours. To make this little fruit fly killer, just pour ½ cup of beer into a jar or drinking glass and cover it with plastic wrap with a few holes poked into it.