Although purple passion does appreciate regular waterings, root rot will quickly develop if the plant is left standing in water for too long. How do I look after and propagate new Purple Passion Plants? Gynura Aurantiaca – also known as purple passion plant or purple velvet plant is an easy to grow houseplant with soft velvety leaves. This will provide a humid environment around the plant. It protects the cut edge and helps the purple passion plant cuttings to root more easily. Stem cuttings are just one type of plant propagation. When I bought many of these plants from the garden centre previously, the soil was very wet and the plants flopped and died a few days later. That leaves us with a droopy, dry plant with no bottom leaves. This will allow you to insert the stem cutting without damaging the cutting tip. This means that while it needs to be placed near a window, a sheer curtain might be needed to prevent it from getting scorched. I take cuttings if the plant is just too scraggly and start over again. In horticulture, the cutting is used for vegetative (asexual) propagation. 2. amzn_assoc_region = "US"; tips for growing this pretty houseplant here, ← Wooden Succulent Arrangement – Upcycled Junk Gardening Planter for Succulents, 15 Tested Tips for Using, Storing and Growing Shallots →. This will give me extra plants to share with friends and perhaps I can revive the original. (the cuttings can easily rot as you wait for them to root.) The leaves of a purple passion plant have many similarities to those of African violets. If you don’t have any well-lit, humid spots available don’t worry too much. Insert the cutting in the soil and press it close around the stem. If you follow these easy steps, in just a few weeks, your once scraggy purple passion plant will be showing new and vibrant growth. The leaves are carried on long purple stems which are also covered with fine, downy hair. amzn_assoc_ad_type = "smart"; These are really beautiful and unusual plants, very fast-growing, with furry leaves in striking colors. Other common names velvet plant 'Purple Passion' . Purple passion plants like high humidity. This plant include to the Compositae family. The whole original plant is in the terrarium, as well as some stem cuttings and leaf cuttings. 🙂. Examine the plant underneath the leaves to make sure it is a healthy host plant. This post may contain affiliate links. (or both!). Gynura Species: aurantiaca Family: Asteraceae Life Cycle: Perennial Recommended Propagation Strategy: Stem Cutting Country Or Region Of Origin: Sumatera to Jawa Climbing Method: Twining Dimensions: Height: 1 ft. 0 in. I’m pretty sure we’ll never know! I earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you if you purchase through an affiliate link. Could it have been the location? Hurrah! Hi Alina. Las hojas son carnosas con los márgenes levemente dentados, de color verde intenso y toda la planta está revestida por una pelusa rojiza. When this happens to me, I do one of two things. There are lots of other ways to get new plants for free by using leaves and roots, as well as dividing the plant and layering it. I have tried it both ways but find that rooting cuttings in water are a slightly less successful technique for something with soft stems. (Best way), Use a plant mister to spray the plant lightly to keep it humid. aurantica, often known as velvet plant, purple passion plant, or simply gynura. glad to know that the purple passion plant is non toxit for my cats. If you have any more questions about purple passion or want to share your own experiences with this fuzzy purple houseplant, don’t hesitate to leave a comment below! 03/08/2020 Abraham. The others name of this gynura leaves that maybe we always hear are Ngokilo, sambung nyawa ( Java People), daun dewa (Jawa Tengah), San qi cao (China) and gynura procumbens. Propagating Gynura aurantiaca. - 4 ft. 0 in. I had a this plant and it died, and I want to try again, but having a very hard time finding any purple passions, or even cutting where I live, in Ontario and I cant find anywhere online to buy in Canada, only stateside. A few species are produced as interiorscape plants due to their colorful velvety foliage. If your plant develops the yellow flowers, it normally means that it is reaching maturity, so taking cuttings is a good idea then. The Gynura sarmentosa begins its growth as an upright plant. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. The flowers of Gynura aurantiaca are often reported to be malodorous. Watering is one of the trickier parts of purple passion care, as this plant does need plenty of moisture and will quickly start looking sad and droopy when deprived of water but doesn’t respond well to wet feet. Gynura aurantiaca, planta de hoja vellosa. See my tips for growing this pretty houseplant here. Purple passion is non-toxic to both cats and dogs. Look for a healthy stem and cut a piece of it off about 2-3 inches from the top. amzn_assoc_search_bar = "true"; Nuestra protagonista es una planta cuyo nombre científico es Gynura aurantiaca, pero que se la conoce más como Planta del terciopelo u Ortiga de terciopelo.Es originaria del Sureste asiático, donde puede llegar a crecer como un arbusto de hasta 1 metro de altura, pero no sobrepasa los 50cm si está en maceta.. I keep mine in the kitchen near a window but not directly sitting in the sun. Did I underwater them? Also, anytime you pinch out the growing tips to encourage bushiness, you have the opportunity to propagate Gynura Aurantiaca! In fact, care should be taken to prevent the plant from being exposed to high temperatures. Stout and branchy, 2-3 ft., with almost succulent sts. I normally use rooting hormone powder when I take cuttings of houseplants. Click to see our Privacy policy. Synonyms Gynura sarmentosa. Water the soil medium and poke a hole in the soil, using the tip of a pencil. Cuidados de la planta Gynura aurantiaca, Ginura o Planta de terciopelo: El género Gynura pertenece a la familia de las Compuestas y está integrado por plantas trepadoras, arbustivas y vivaces originarias de zonas tropicales de África y Asia. The seller said avoid keeping them wet or waterlogged so I only watered the plants when the soil was dry as I did with my previous gynuras and yet these new plants flopped and died. We start out with a vibrant, thick and healthy plant and then forget to water it. New cuttings cannot take the same amount of light that established plants can. It might be just low on stock where you live due to the cold weather. This popular plant gets its common names from the deep purple coloring of the stems and leaves. It has larger leaves, but it is more upright and less attractive. Java.—A handsome foliage plant. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. I could not even save cuttings from them. Deja un comentario Cancelar la respuesta. amzn_assoc_title = ""; Use a simple high quality plant fertilizer that is diluted to 50% of the recommended strength. Also regarding cuttings to start new plants: I have successfully rooted cuttings by placing them in water. Sound familiar? Some artificial lighting and a humidifier can already make a big difference. Its close relation, the Gynura aurantiaca or Velvet plant, is similar to the G. sarmentosa except its shape, which is more upright and shrubby. Bottom heat from a heat mat is helpful but not necessary, especially if you are taking cuttings in the warm season. They might already have been doing badly. The stems of this plant are easy to root. Your email address will not be published. Gynura aurantiaca, also known as purple passion, is a houseplant appreciated for its fuzzy purple foliage. The orange or yellow flowers have no ray florets Details 'Purple Passion' is a sprawling, woody-based, evergreen perennial to about 1m tall, though it can reach 3m if supported. See my general tips for plant propagation here. You should also try to avoid anything below 59 °F/15 °C. It doesn’t mind lower light which makes it idea for growing indoors. You can do it one of two ways – by keeping the stem in water until roots develop and then planting them in soil or by using soil from the start. Most indoor plants take well from stem cuttings. Its purple-colored leaves contain acylated anthocyanins which have potential to be natural food colorants. No problem as long as it’s a non-toxic plant and especially if they aren’t prone to nibbling the leaves. I love to get new plants for free by taking cuttings of some of my existing indoor plants. During the winter months you can reduce fertilizing to once a … This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a small commission from the sale, but the price is the same for you. They are my biggest joy to see my plants bloom or just grow longer, or bigger due to my care! Place the plant pot on a saucer filled with rocks and keep water under the level of the rocks. They do like to be kept lightly moist, though it is true that waterlogging can cause issues. Take stem cuttings with sharp, sterile pruning shears. amzn_assoc_asins = "B01E9IO87O,B000BX1HGC,B073SZPYKW,B0012YGT62"; Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." Required fields are marked *. Pruning Gynura. To propagate, you will need completion of a stem a minimum of numerous inches long. Honestly, why do cats do the things they do? To ensure water drains properly, use a pot with a drainage hole and a well-draining potting mix (preferably slightly acidic). When the plant gives roots that reach at least 2 cm, the purple passion can be planted in a … Hi Carol. The leaves are in good shape, the cutting has a few inches of intact stem that is not soggy and there is no evidence of any bugs underneath the leaves. Currently you have JavaScript disabled. Species. Cultural Guidelines for Commercial Production of Purple Passion Plant (Gynura aurantiaca) 2 Cultural Guides 1. A stem cutting is a piece of the main straight part of the plant to which the leaves attach themselves. Your email address will not be published. This little bottle terrarium is made from a large coke bottle and will give my cuttings just the right amount of humidity to help them to grow. Since that plant can also root from leaf cuttings, I’m going to use my two left over leaves and try my hand at rooting those too. Gynura aurantiaca is a heavy feeder and can be fertilized once a week during the growing season. The purple passion plant is most often propagated by cuttings, which root quickly as long as a few important growing conditions are maintained. I just poked a small hole on either side of the stem cutting and inserted the leaves. Its purple-colored leaves contain acylated anthocyanins which have potential to be natural food colorants. This plant is commonly known as "purple passion" because of the velvety purple leaves. How to propagate string of hearts | Ceropegia... Brown tips on spider plant: Causes & solutions. Gynura Aurantiaca – also known as purple passion plant or purple velvet plant is an easy to grow houseplant with soft velvety leaves. Gynura aurantiaca is a tropical perennial that grows outdoors in Sunset Climate Zones H1 and H2. As long as the leaves of the plant don’t get soaked, one time will not be a problem in most cases. When supplied with plenty of indirect light the plant’s purple leaf coloration should become darker and more intense. Might get a “threefer” in a few weeks! I bought a couple of these last month. Genus Gynura are evergreen perennials and sub-shrubs, some scrambling or trailing, with toothed leaves. It happens to all of us, I’m sure. See my tips for growing this pretty houseplant here. So sorry to hear you didn’t have much luck with your purple passions! [2] [3 Be sure to keep the soil evenly moist by watering lightly just as it starts to dry out. What did I do wrong? The plant is also similar to an African violet in that it doesn’t like the leaves to get too wet. Yes, grouping plants is fine and is actually good for humidity around them. So, today, I will show you how to take stem cuttings that get started directly in soil. By mistake i sprayed my plant, luckily leaves are ok so far. As for cuttings, it is harsh for them to switch from water to soil, so maybe you’re best off dipping them in some rooting hormone and placing them directly into soil. @2015 - PenciDesign. Remove all but the top four leaves on a cutting this size. Posted by SongofJoy (Clarksville, TN - Zone 6b) on Nov 23, 2011 2:39 PM. I tried to take cuttings from the new plants that died last month but the cuttings just flopped and died – no roots were put out. Purple Passion Plant Cuttings – How to Propagate Gynura Aurantiaca from Stem Cuttings. This cutting is very healthy. Can you help with any suggestions please. Thin out the Gynura aurantiaca's dense foliage and use the clippings for propagation. Width: 2 ft. 0 in. Gynura is occasionally bothered by aphids, mealybugs, whiteflies, and spider mites. Velvet Tree. The exact amount of water it needs is (as always) dependent on the amount of light it gets as well as your soil mixture and drainage, but try to keep the soil slightly moist during the growing months (Spring through Fall) and let it dry a bit more between waterings during Wintertime. Cuttings may be taken at any time and will root year round if provided with sufficient warmth and humidity. Purple Velvet Plant – Gynura aurantiaca. Be sure your existing plant is free from disease. A piece of the stem is inserted in a growing medium and will grow roots to form a new plant. Its interesting leaf coloration and relatively easy care make it a great addition to any colorful houseplant collection. Production of this crop requires healthy and uniform starting materials or propagules. During the growing season you can use a diluted liquid houseplant fertilizer every month or so to encourage your purple passion’s growth. # colegante, exterior, flor, Interior, tapizante. There are lots of plant propagation methods, but stem cutting propagation is one of the easiest to do for beginners. It’s a perfect cutting for this project! With a purple passion plant, if you neglect to water the plant, you’ll end up with a plant that might revive with a good drink but one that is leggy from losing its bottom leaves. ... You can perform propagation together with pruning if you do not desire your cut stems to go to waste. Designed and Developed by PenciDesign, Gynura aurantiaca | Purple passion care & info, Seagrass and jute plant baskets (Set of 2). amzn_assoc_ad_mode = "manual"; - 2 ft. 0 in. The purple passion plant (Gynura aurantiaca) gets its common name from the deep purple coloring of the stems and leaves. Learn how your comment data is processed. Gynura aurantiaca, DC. All Right Reserved. Cuttings can be taken any time of the year, but doing them in spring and summer when the plant is actively in its growing season will give faster results. ... Propagation. Cut the stem off on an angle using pruners or sharp scissors. amzn_assoc_tracking_id = "thegarcoo-20"; Gynura aurantiaca (Blume) DC ‘Purple Passion’ is an important ornamental foliage plant. It doesn’t mind lower light which makes it idea for growing indoors. The Gynura aurantiaca looks as if it is covered in velvet due to the purple hair on the leaves and stems. Depending on the time of the year, your purple velvet plant will develop roots in 1-3 weeks. Grow the cuttings in a small closed terrarium. I was in Lowe’s and Home Depot the other day and both stores had them here in Raleigh. Purple passion plant cuttings root very easily and I’ll be showing you how to propagate it today. However, I … When a rooting hormone powder is used, the root will generally develop quickly and be of higher quality than when this product is not used. Nice to know…. It has broad, velvety green leaves with a purple sheen created by a downy overlay of purple hairs. (This is not the best way, since you could get too much water on the leaves. Houseplants / / Purple Velvet Plant (Gynura Aurantiaca) Growing and Caring Tips. A good indicator it’s time to propagate your purple passion is when it starts producing flowers, which are orange-colored and quite decorative but unfortunately smell very unpleasant and should be removed if you don’t want to deal with the odor. Family Asteraceae . The trailing habit and high need for humidity often has you ending up with a leggy plant, even if you keep on top of the watering. The plant likes high humidity but too much water on the leaves can make them rot.). amzn_assoc_linkid = "56f495b1ca2262388d548e13e574084b"; Purple Velvet Plant (Gynura Aurantiaca) – Simple Caring Guide. I put the plant in the table kitchen with other plants and light from a lamp, is this ok? Gynura aurantiaca (Blume) DC ‘Purple Passion’ is an important ornamental foliage plant. The plant comes originally from Java, in Indonesia, so it needs a frost-free position in shade or part-shade, with sufficient moisture. Gynura es un género de plantas de Asia perteneciente a la familia Asteraceae., subfamilia Asteroideae, tribu Senecioneae.La especie más conocida es Gynura aurantiaca, así llamada por el color naranja de sus inflorescencias.. Comprende 160 especies descritas y de estas, solo 47 aceptadas. The coloring is not actually contained in the stems and leaves, but on tiny, purple, hair-like growths that emerge from them. These projections also give the plant a velvety feel. Gynura Aurantiaca is prone to spider mites and mealy bugs. I feel better know more details about the Purple Passion! If necessary, the plant can be repotted during Springtime, although it’s usually a better idea to take some cuttings and re-root these as a single purple passion won’t last more than a few years. Propagation Purple passion is easily propagated by stem cuttings. Propagation is a necessary part of growing this plant if you want to keep it around for a … Polka dot plant propagation | In water or... Propagating arrowhead plant | In water or soil! Gynura Aurantiaca: care tips. First off, I’m not completely in agreement with letting these plants’ soil dry out before watering again. There are a few ways to ensure the cutting gets the humidity it needs: I ended up taking cuttings of my plant and then also pinched back some of the leaves to encourage bushiness of the mother plant. Propagate Gynura by stem cuttings taken in summer. Temperature is usually between 63° and 72°F. Purple passion appreciates bright, indirect light and doesn’t cope well with a lot of direct sunlight. The more light the gynura aurantiaca gets, the deeper purple the leaves will become. I was keeping the 2 from last month on wet pebbles to maintain humidity as the seller indicated the nursery that they came from had high humidity although I hadn’t done that with the other plants which had thrived. La Gynura aurantiaca aparece en Europa ( Bélgica ) en 1880. Problems with Calathea | Yellow leaves, curling, drooping... Chinese money plant care & info | Pilea peperomioides. Posted on April 29, 2011 by Rupert Foxton-Smythe • 0 Comments. large and soft, ovate, jagged- toothed, hairy, short-petioled or the upper ones clasping, overlaid with iridescent purple: heads in a terminal cluster, yellow or orange.