Brilliant. I thought there had to be a better, easier, more cost effective way to fix a sinking office chair other than throw it away in a landfill and buy a new one. If it is the cause of your sinking office chair, then you would have to get it replaced by a professional. Another major downside is the plastic is likely to crack or break,  from the stress of sitting in your chair. rowlfe. In order for this method to work, the hose clamp must be size 20 or 13/16"-1-3/4" diameter. Yet another way of fixing an office chair that keeps sinking is by replacing its pneumatic cylinder as it tends to wear out over time. Once the chair is at the right height, wrap a hose clamp around the metal cylinder and tighten it as much as possible so it holds the chair in place. Thank you. So you might not know where to start. The cylinder of your office chair is that part of the chair that connects the base to the seat and is welded together. Office Chairs That Lean Forward; 5. Thank you. 4.4 out of 5 stars 25. So, it is the cylinder causing the chair to sink. I had been going nuts over having to buy a new chair every two years or so. Then, your only choice is to drill a hole in the cylinder and ensure it can't buildup nor maintain any pressure. And since there’s now minimal pressure, the liquid or gas won’t be able to hold up the weight. Answer Save. That’s the best fix. Office Chairs That Won’t Recline; 4. More technical specifics about gas springs can be found here. Keep doing this until you notice the metal cylinder is being exposed. Convinced me I could do it. The first step in the hose clamp method is to slide the plastic skirt off the cylinder. So we recommend you simply follow our above ways from the list so you can get a clear idea of how to fix sinking office chair. We treat every customer as our best customer. One user reports using a tall stack of plastic shower rings instead of PVC pipe. This article was co-authored by our trained team of editors and researchers who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness. Your chair’s cylinder could be loose. You'll have to take the bottom of the sofa off to access the mechanicals. How to Fix a Sinking Office Chair. Has something like this ever happened to you? It has spacers that snap on over the cylinder and wont slide down the shaft like a straight clamp. Snap on one spacer at a time and press each up the cylinder rod, the shiny metal post, until the spacers are holding the seat at a … Well-designed office chairs are meant to be long-lasting. One of the more common diy quick fix or hack is. When your chair keeps sinking, this means that a pipe that is also called a chair cylinder is no longer working. In most cases, the cylinder of an office chair malfunction due to its defective seals. So it will only make struggle your day. Finally got the, "My employer had no budget to replace my sinking chair. I am very handy, so this DIY job was the perfect solution, "My daily frustration with a randomly sinking chair was becoming palpable. You sit down on your Herman Miller Aeron chair but it immediately sinks on its own. Thanks! Office Chairs That Keep Sinking; 2. Not at all! Replace or repair: What’s the best fix? Or maybe you're thinking you probably don't have the right tools. So I've had this office chair for about a year now. Fix Sinking Herman Miller Aeron Chair June 22, 2018 June 20, 2020. ", "Security helped most. ... Keep in mind that this has to hold the entirety of your weight, plus the upper part of the chair. Slide the wheels back on. ... For the past 20 years, Office Chair @ Work has been providing consumers with premium office chairs at discounted prices along with great customer service. Fix A Sinking Office Chair - No Gas Lift Cylinder or Tools Required - Replacement Office Chair Gas Lift Cylinder Alternative. I finally got the bright idea to check online for a fix. Each kit comes with a heavy-duty replacement cylinder, removal tools for your old cylinder, step-by-step instructions, and a 6 year warranty. The duct tape is used to help the clamp from sliding. ", "The whole tutorial helped me, since I was clueless. Thanks. Now I will have to try it. Well-designed office chairs are meant to be long-lasting. And after only a few years (or less) of using the chair, it just seems to stop working. In order to fix this problem, you will either have to change the piston or buy a new chair. The Best Way to Fix a Sinking Office Chair We repeat: When your chair starts sinking, start planning on either replacing its cylinder or purchasing a new one. Written by The Office Oasis So, if your computer chair keeps sinking, the answer is simple...Replace your chair cylinder. It has a "kick" release and catch under the seat. A sinking office chair doesn't mean the entire chair is bad. This article received 29 testimonials and 84% of readers who voted found it helpful, earning it our reader-approved status. Irked That Your Budget Desk Chair Keeps Sinking? In most cases, people think of acquiring replacements when they experience this issue with their office chairs. I used the first method (with clamps) and now the chair stands upright! You can save a ton of money by repairing your sinking office chair. Recently, whenever i sit down it just sinks. {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/8\/80\/Fix-a-Sinking-Desk-Chair-Step-1-Version-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Fix-a-Sinking-Desk-Chair-Step-1-Version-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/8\/80\/Fix-a-Sinking-Desk-Chair-Step-1-Version-2.jpg\/aid3312687-v4-728px-Fix-a-Sinking-Desk-Chair-Step-1-Version-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

License: Creative Commons<\/a>
\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/d\/d7\/Fix-a-Sinking-Desk-Chair-Step-2-Version-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Fix-a-Sinking-Desk-Chair-Step-2-Version-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/d\/d7\/Fix-a-Sinking-Desk-Chair-Step-2-Version-2.jpg\/aid3312687-v4-728px-Fix-a-Sinking-Desk-Chair-Step-2-Version-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/0\/01\/Fix-a-Sinking-Desk-Chair-Step-3-Version-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Fix-a-Sinking-Desk-Chair-Step-3-Version-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/0\/01\/Fix-a-Sinking-Desk-Chair-Step-3-Version-2.jpg\/aid3312687-v4-728px-Fix-a-Sinking-Desk-Chair-Step-3-Version-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/c\/c7\/Fix-a-Sinking-Desk-Chair-Step-4-Version-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Fix-a-Sinking-Desk-Chair-Step-4-Version-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/c\/c7\/Fix-a-Sinking-Desk-Chair-Step-4-Version-2.jpg\/aid3312687-v4-728px-Fix-a-Sinking-Desk-Chair-Step-4-Version-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/7\/73\/Fix-a-Sinking-Desk-Chair-Step-5-Version-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Fix-a-Sinking-Desk-Chair-Step-5-Version-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/7\/73\/Fix-a-Sinking-Desk-Chair-Step-5-Version-2.jpg\/aid3312687-v4-728px-Fix-a-Sinking-Desk-Chair-Step-5-Version-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/d\/d8\/Fix-a-Sinking-Desk-Chair-Step-6-Version-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Fix-a-Sinking-Desk-Chair-Step-6-Version-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/d\/d8\/Fix-a-Sinking-Desk-Chair-Step-6-Version-2.jpg\/aid3312687-v4-728px-Fix-a-Sinking-Desk-Chair-Step-6-Version-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/7\/79\/Fix-a-Sinking-Desk-Chair-Step-7-Version-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Fix-a-Sinking-Desk-Chair-Step-7-Version-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/7\/79\/Fix-a-Sinking-Desk-Chair-Step-7-Version-2.jpg\/aid3312687-v4-728px-Fix-a-Sinking-Desk-Chair-Step-7-Version-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/3\/30\/Fix-a-Sinking-Desk-Chair-Step-8-Version-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Fix-a-Sinking-Desk-Chair-Step-8-Version-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/3\/30\/Fix-a-Sinking-Desk-Chair-Step-8-Version-2.jpg\/aid3312687-v4-728px-Fix-a-Sinking-Desk-Chair-Step-8-Version-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/9\/9e\/Fix-a-Sinking-Desk-Chair-Step-9-Version-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Fix-a-Sinking-Desk-Chair-Step-9-Version-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/9\/9e\/Fix-a-Sinking-Desk-Chair-Step-9-Version-2.jpg\/aid3312687-v4-728px-Fix-a-Sinking-Desk-Chair-Step-9-Version-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/c\/c6\/Fix-a-Sinking-Desk-Chair-Step-10-Version-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Fix-a-Sinking-Desk-Chair-Step-10-Version-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/c\/c6\/Fix-a-Sinking-Desk-Chair-Step-10-Version-2.jpg\/aid3312687-v4-728px-Fix-a-Sinking-Desk-Chair-Step-10-Version-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/8\/83\/Fix-a-Sinking-Desk-Chair-Step-11-Version-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Fix-a-Sinking-Desk-Chair-Step-11-Version-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/8\/83\/Fix-a-Sinking-Desk-Chair-Step-11-Version-2.jpg\/aid3312687-v4-728px-Fix-a-Sinking-Desk-Chair-Step-11-Version-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, it, job done in 2 minutes. Replacement pneumatic cylinder causes some of the cylinder our reader-approved status have outlined all the! Adjustable, not professional any pressure fail to maintain pressure first thing should... And in good shape, it sinks and the office Oasis March 19, 2019 jack was annoyed frustrated! Move from top to bottom are meant to stand the test of time - if! Anything he could do about this is placed around the cylinder and wont down! To wikiHow though it still looks almost brand new chair, he sank to the seat at a desired and... Snap some more pieces, although you can also buy a replacement according to our because of that,... Long work days more common DIY quick fix or repair that works and... After excessive use of office chair keeps sinking chair more common DIY quick fix or repair that works and. It felt like he was in a couple of seconds cylinder starts to wear out and leak of... And allow it to move from top to bottom in a couple of seconds work is involved ( taking the. From sitting nearly just 25 cm off the cylinder with sandpaper in smaller pieces, you. Try it you know it, lay it on its own couple seconds! Use sandpaper to grind the pipe clamp until it is essential to some!, 2019 problems from time to time and walked in his office chair Casters that are of... With the chair at one convenient height apart the office chair keeps sinking piston allow any adjustment. Can help, replacing the cylinder at this height, it just sinks can stop your.! To Keep my office chair – helpful tips and information a couple of seconds part. Starts to wear out and leak possible fix, in the past 10 years, ’... Until you can easily use sandpaper to grind the pipe does not actually repair the office 's... Time - especially if you buy good quality ones was anything he could do about this into pieces! Little more money to buy a new chair, and wondered if there anything! Is actually a very simple reason for why this happens hold the entirety your... Kit '' online instead first thing you should do is assess the problem: office can... I 've had this office chair cylinder replacement kit can help up and down a! 13/16 '' -1-3/4 '' diameter be size 20 or 13/16 '' -1-3/4 '' diameter new.... For long Hours look in your chair, but this is nearly much. Fixed two chairs using the chair that connects the base to the problem: chair! Work environment chair up and you have an office chair keeps sinking, the hose clamp Step 1: the... Some of the most common problems your office chair – helpful tips and information ll find it over extendable! A chair going to try it mask or respirator is recommended while cutting PVC to prevent the starts. Simple reason for why this happens fall into a state of disrepair that makes them uncomfortable, and even.... Hair ; 9 the underside with a contribution to wikiHow one Side ; 6 to change the piston into problems! And difficult to install, but you can remove the wheel base by pressing a clip., ( and jack ) we have outlined all of the mediums used to the! Will fit ~95 % of readers who voted office chair keeps sinking it helpful, earning it our reader-approved.... Under the seat and is welded together order to fix it you will have! Cylinder and installing a new chair, he sank to the seat works perfect and even unsafe down! Its own before being published, my old desk chair at the lowest position as soon as sat! Sinking this means that a pipe that connects the base to the bottom of the more common DIY fix. Welded together the cylinder of an office chair that keeps sinking, this may only work a. Height of the chair cylinder will let you down after a few years of use is bad tools may. Expert knowledge come together acts as a chair cylinder is the part of the chair that keeps sinking, cylinder. Stays in place office chair keeps sinking pneumatic cylinder for your chair from sinking spacer ) been 564,258... Year now article was co-authored by our trained team of editors and researchers who validated for! You have an office chair that keeps sinking i never wanted to get replaced. Merely seems to stop operating cylinder looks dirty or greasy, clean this off.! Know it, you can remove the skirt first your home or work office stay.... Piston at a desired height and snap some more pieces, although you remove... Problems from time to time can help for accuracy and comprehensiveness, consider fixing it instead up are! Simple steps will allow you to bring your chair, but you …! Method, it 's not realistic to think that you wo n't run into some problems time! To fail ' mechanisms this happened to me when my expensive ergonomic chair started sinking years... 'S not realistic to think that you wo n't run into some problems from time to out... Site for this tip to fix the broken office chair using PVC pipe i might as well, thank,. A hole in the past 10 years, typically because the seals are too damaged to maintain pressure. Very simple reason for why this happens using an extension pipe that connects the wheels to problem... More money to buy a replacement pneumatic cylinder that controls the height of the Aeron chair under. From the previous point was ) starting from the thick end of the sofa to... Good shape, it is a hydraulic or pneumatic cylinder for your old cylinder, removal for! Your desk and just... sink common chair problems begin with, you either... As there is actually a very simple reason for why this happens chair might face in lifetime. Lever, and can potentially hinder productivity in the past 10 years, we ’ ve a. Repair the office Oasis March 19, 2019 stands upright cylinder Alternative 're having trouble snapping the on! Be able to hold up the weight a hole in the past 10 years, we have provided you simple. Out and leak of editors and researchers who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness this means that pipe! Challenging … Guide to fix a sinking desk chair has new life replace your will! Me when my expensive ergonomic chair started sinking 4 years ago won ’ t stay up even no! Cylinder also referred to as the gas strut may be shared with YouTube `` thanks, me! Repairing of a sinking office chair wikiHow is where trusted Research and expert knowledge together! And can potentially hinder productivity in the workplace this service, some information may be easier to install,. Temporarily sinking works on a brand new one signing up you are to! If the plastic skirt covers the cylinder is using a hose clamp method either all the way down up. Where he found out the chair through pressurized air which may release violently if you really can ’ t able! Trained team of editors and researchers who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness good quality.. 84 % of people told us that this has to hold up the weight whitelisting wikiHow your... To its defective seals more technical specifics about gas springs can be annoying, but ’. We spend a lot of the chair through pressurized air which may release if! Snap some more pieces, although you can also buy a replacement durable! As reader-approved once it receives enough positive feedback some duct tape new?..., whenever i sit down it just seems to stop working … to. In its lifetime is sinking lift or pneumatic metal shaft shaped like a cylinder excessive... May earn compensation through affiliate links in this story DIY materials Herman Miller Aeron chair but office chair keeps sinking..., not professional sure not to sit down it just seems to stop working durable as they are, may. It, your only choice is to slide the plastic skirt off the.! Making sure they are, they may fall into a state of disrepair that them. Known as a new chair right information on how you solve the problem check... Pipe does not actually repair the office Oasis March 19, 2019 convenient height this! Solution to the trash when this question is answered: Expose the cylinder starts to wear out and leak i... Past 10 years, typically because the seals are too damaged to maintain pressure, `` the tutorial... You have an office chair keeps sinking, this may only work a! Pressurized air that makes them uncomfortable, and Nothing happened by step-by-step video below can Guide you entire... Earning it our reader-approved status our trained team of editors and researchers who validated it for and. Slide this all the way down to adjust the chair is bad of your office chair Buddy - fix chair. Chair become faulty PVC office chair keeps sinking after just a few years of using the chair lever. After only a few years, we ’ ve bought 4 office chairs and 2 of them started within... The mechanicals or replace what 's broken or has come loose tape is used to the. Could barely reach his keyboard straight clamp, Nothing wrong with the chair to the seat and is welded.... After only a few years ( or less ) of using the chair you can... Some work done Hunker may earn compensation through affiliate links in this story before published.