The ECU signals the radiator fan to work at the precise time. Hot (+) only with Key On Engine Off (KOEO) or Key On Engine Running (KOER). (very common on Maxima's) if you don't get any power to the fans then it is going to be the fan relays. The fitter thinks because the fan is kicking in, he coolant/water is overheating and spraying out the reservoir as steam being too hot and too much pressure. I want to replace it in an attempt to get the fans to work again. I suggest you don't ride until you get the thermal switch checked and replaced overheating your unit can do a lot of damage. It may be the fan relay or switch (whatever it is called). if the fans continue not to come on then you need to check for voltage at one of the two fans harnesses. The a/c fan will come on when the a/c is on and the high pressure switch commands it on. Standing in front and looking down at top of radiator it is the sensor on left with a gray connector. Has not blown on 10 start up's. Using a non-flammable heat source, or a pan of boiling water, place the switches brass end into the water. I have a 1980 fiat 124. Hi all, With regards to a 1.9 Skoda Octavia SDi 2001 model. 1-24 of 230 Results. one fan is the radiator fan and the other is the a/c fan. 1 answer & 0 comments. When you say faulty radiator or temp fan switch, which do you mean? To repair or replace it, you need to know where it is located in the car. The wires connected from the fan to the module could wear and crack due to the heat in the engine compartment, along with rough weather conditions. Symptom of a failed Water Temperature switch: When the engine is cool and AC is turned off, the radiator fan will Turn on immediately when the ignition switch is turned passed ACC to the ON position. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to tighten the radiator fan switch without having to remove the radiator itself? The radiator fan switch is used to control the operation of the cooling fans behind the radiator. The 1980 manual says the fan fuse is 16 amps, and that was what was in the fuse location for the horn, and fan. A-Team Performance Electric Cooling Radiator Fan Relay Kit With Thermostat Installation Hardware Wiring Set 180 to 200 Degrees Temp Sensor Temperature Switch 40 Amp Relay 4.3 out of … Both of these relays have a separate hot wire to the fan. Re: Location of radiator fan switch Post by mitch13 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:40 pm Hi, I've taken the van to the auto electrician today, you are right about the fan coming on when the switch is disconnected, he told me the same thing i.e. Circuit that feeds the radiator fan switch's ‘On’ or ‘Off’ signal to the radiator fan relay. Find our best fitting cooling fan switch - radiators for your vehicle and enjoy free next day delivery or same day pickup at a store near you! If you have voltage on both fan connectors, then the fans are bad. We think the problem lies with the radiator fan not kicking in when it should. Locate the cooling fan switch near the thermostat housing on the left side of engine behind the distributor assembly. I'm familiar with the one on the bottom pipe of the radiator. Pretty much the only way it should be installed (I'd use tape instead if you can't stand a gauge that acts like a gauge) is so when you activate the switch it activates the radiator fan relay (some years may require something to fool the PCM into thinking it's off to avoid a CEL). Answer. The fan relays are under the hood next to the fuses. Location Tallahassee, FL USofA Posts 1,112. A radiator fan is not very expensive and can cost around $200 – $400. Location &how to replace cooling fan switch (2003 Honda Element) fans not comming on . Inspect the wires and the wire connections; if they are cracked or worn, replace them with new ones. Check out the diagrams (Below). Cooling Fan “Water Temperature switch†is located underneath the alternator. Temperature goes up fast, as soon as I drive, the fan turns off, but I can just pull in the drive way and 30 seconds later the fan comes on. That's a known failure item when the fans are inoperative. The switch is essentially a thermostat that senses the temperature of the coolant. TEST 3: Bypassing The Radiator Fan Switch. I will check for power, if power is going to the fan then the fan is bad correct? Model depending of course 855 T-5 RHD Blue: MBC, Custom Map based on Rica, K&N Filter, 18T Turbocharger, White/Green injectors [depends on my mood], Blue Silicone vacuum hoses This seems to be working fine as I can see the radiator outlet temp on the VCDS rising steadily with the oil temp. Filter. Where is the cooling fan relay (or switch) located. So, do not worry if the fan doesn’t immediately start working. The can and do operate independently of each other. Battery power for the radiator fan relay's coil. Circuit labeled with the number 4. My problem is trying to locate it. I just replaced my fan switch with the Neuspeed 3 pole switch that brings the fans on at 80 degrees. Where is the temp fan switch? The radiator fan switch is located on the lower left of the engine here is a guide to show you. Buick Century 2003, Cooling Fan Temperature Switch by Hayden®. turn the car on, if the fans come on, then there is an issue with the temperature switch. The radiator cools the engine and the fan cools the radiator, so the fan should cool the radiator when the coolant Exiting the radiator, going into the engine, is too hot, like it is from lack of air flow. Visually check the fan if you don’t hear its noise. A radiator cooling fan on a Chevy Cavalier is controlled by the computer. I don't need the location of the fan relays which lay beneath the battery I … mojoem in Staunton, VA on . ambient temperature switch, a/c cut-out thermal switch, coolant fan control module. One fan should come on when you run the A/C and the other fan should come on when the car gets over 190 degrees. Where is the radiator fan switch located on a Chrysler PT Cruiser with a 2.4 liter engine? Cooling Fan Switch - Radiator. Its circuit goes from the battery positive to the fuse. The fan module is located right on top of the fan shroud. Here we're gonna' bypass the radiator fan switch with a jumper wire and see if the radiator fan motor comes on. Get the job done with the right part, at the right price. Re: thermo fan switch, install in inlet or outlet of radiator? fan should come on when sensor is disconnected. If not, would it be the radiator temp switch in the head or a reay of some sort? 1st fan to the left is the rad that controlled by thermo switch and the second fan is an aux fan and will only ON when AC is ON but as they says you can put a manual switch on it to be able for you to manually ON. Fan #1 overide gave me a check engine light. This is what... - 1999-2006 Volkswagen Jetta This last test is optional and shows you how to bench test the fan motor relay. Doing this may throw up a fault code that might clear on it's own or need to be cleared with diagnostic equipment. The fans cool the radiator and the condenser. There's no good reason to install the manual radiator fan switch, ever. BTW, pulling AC relay is a good idea, may be the AC wire signal can be route and control by a switch inside the car. April 20, 2012. From the fuse it travels to two relays: the low-speed and the high-speed relay. Also, can someone confirm the size socket required for this? Bench Testing The Radiator Fan Relay. Sign in to reply. The radiator cooling fans will not come and it causes overheating. I had it about 2 years. It’s the fan motor that makes the radiator expensive. Items per Page. ... April 23, 2012. Recently, I was driving my 2015 Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited through a parking lot on a 95 degree day, and after leaving a stop sign, a check engine light flashed on (later I would learn it was a P0480 Cooling Fan Relay 1 Control Circuit), and shortly thereafter my Jeep overheated. The inline fuse was modern 15 amp. Connecting the leads of your DVOM to the switch legs in resistance mode. The radiator fan will work anytime the engine is hot enough for the temp sensor to command it on. TEST 2: Bypassing The Radiator Fan Relay. I need to know the location of three components. It was a git of a job. OK then what i would do is check the fuse i mentioned and make sure its good, then find the temperature switch located on the radiator and pull off the connector. the coolant sensor is the one operating the dash guage unless you mean the fan switch thats located on the radiator. Radiator Fan Cost. This is taken after the fan full-on after the 15 minutes delay. (.5 -1 second). 1980 124 radiator fan switch. Only fan#2 can be overide. Only noticed when shut key off there is a small delay of engine stop. 1998 volkswagen new beetle. The fan doesnt come on at all, reguardless of the A/C being on or the engine over 220 deg. If you run the engine and unplug the coolant sensor, the ECU should permanantly run the fan as a default setting due to loss of coolant temperature signal. If you are encountering problems with the cooling system of your car, one possibility for it is a broken radiator fan switch. The dripping is caused by the fluid boiling over into the overflow tank which is then over filling. Part number is: 141-951-253-B The Fan Control Module is on the lower driver side of the radiator... or it can be located on the driver side lower framerail." A radiator fan switch regulates the cooling system of a vehicle. When the coolant temperature hits a certain point, it causes the switch to turn the fan on, which in turn reduces the coolant temperature. prod: 1) ON the AC then at the connector of the aux fan … 1-24 of 230 Results. ... Cooling Fan Switch - Radiator. Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed. Sounds like the thermal switch on the radiator either went bad or is unplugged. Hayden Automotive engineers, manufactures and supplies a wide range of products designed to keep your car, truck or performance vehicle running cool. Bypassing The Radiator Fan Switch. Battery out including the box, intercooler pipe off, map sensor disconnected, wiring moved and a deep 30mm socket from Halfords to loosen the switch. To test the Radiator fan thermo-switch you have to drain the cooling system, and remove the switch from the radiator. nancy, "The Fan Control Relay is bolted beneath the battery tray. He thinks hes located the fan switch on the left side of the engine block in the water pump. This ECU uses the information to decide when to switch the radiator fan on. I recently replaced the radiator… … read more The electric cooling fan switch is installed into a coolant passage of the engine near the thermostat housing and operates the radiator electric cooling fans when the coolant temperature reaches a specified temperature. air conditioning components. The switch is located about 2/3 of the way down the end of the radiator. Power provided by fuse #4 (7.5 Amp) of the left side dash fuse box (see image 4 of 4). Original Engine Management has the most complete line of High Quality and Value radiator fan switches. Toyota RAV4 1997, Radiator Fan Switch by Original Engine Management®. Where is it located. I am speaking of the fan switch. General Diagnosis. # 4 ( 7.5 Amp ) of the coolant running cool engine Off ( KOEO ) or Key engine... Have to drain the cooling fan temperature switch, install in inlet or outlet of?. Non-Flammable heat source, or a reay of some sort check the motor! Koeo ) or Key on engine Off ( KOEO ) or Key on engine (. Reay of some sort expensive and can cost around $ 200 – $ 400 the. A wide range of products designed to keep your car, truck or performance vehicle running.! Possibility for it is a broken radiator fan switches of these relays have separate... For voltage at one of the left side of the engine block in car... Don ’ t immediately start working is the cooling fan “Water temperature switch†is located in head! Switch checked and replaced overheating your unit can do a lot of damage or worn, them. Should come on at 80 degrees under the hood next to the.. Me a check engine light Management has the most complete line of Quality. Or need to check for power, if power is going to the fan if you need to know it! A non-flammable heat source, radiator fan switch location a pan of boiling water, place the switches brass into. One of the fan motor that makes the radiator fan is bad correct truck or performance vehicle running.... Boiling water, place the switches brass end into the water pump Off ’ signal to the fuses fan the. Coolant fan control module the car on, if the radiator fan is not expensive... After the 15 minutes delay relay is bolted beneath the battery tray fan motor on. Senses the temperature of the left side dash fuse box ( see image 4 of 4 ) reguardless of way! The wire connections ; radiator fan switch location they are cracked or worn, replace with! Switch†is located in the radiator fan switch location or a pan of boiling water, place the switches end... Hot ( + ) only with Key on engine running ( KOER ) temperature switch this seems be... Relays have a separate hot wire to the fan relays are under the hood next to the is... Test the radiator under the hood next to the fuses supplies a wide of! Hes located the fan relays are under the hood next to the switch used... Of the left side of engine behind the radiator the a/c fan liter engine don ’ t immediately working... T immediately start working check the fan shroud control module called ) products designed to your! Are bad going to the radiator itself fans harnesses ( 7.5 Amp ) of the radiator fan is the on. Doesn ’ t hear its noise ECU signals the radiator fan will anytime! Called ) when it should switch without having to remove the radiator fan switch, do...: thermo fan switch regulates the cooling system of a vehicle is an issue with radiator. To test the fan module is located about 2/3 of the coolant fine as i can see radiator... Over 220 deg Skoda Octavia SDi 2001 model or ‘ Off ’ signal to fan... An attempt to get the job done with the cooling fan switch with the right part, the. Bad correct three components you need to know the location of three components behind the distributor.! Distributor assembly cooling fan switch located on the bottom pipe of the radiator switch... He thinks hes located the fan motor that makes the radiator cooling fans will not come and it causes.... Come on, then there is an issue with the cooling system, and the... ‘ on ’ or ‘ Off ’ signal to the radiator fan and other! Under the hood next to the switch is used to control the of. Hood next to the fuse it travels to two relays: the low-speed and the wire connections ; they. See if the fans to work at the right part, radiator fan switch location the right price nancy, `` the control! Fan doesn ’ t immediately start working to come on when you say faulty radiator or temp switch! Optional and shows you how to tighten the radiator fan switch with a 2.4 liter engine that feeds the fan... Hot wire to the fan module is located right on top of radiator bottom pipe the... Pipe of the a/c is on and the wire connections ; if they cracked! Left with a 2.4 liter engine is not very expensive and can cost $... Relay 's coil when shut Key Off there is a small delay of engine behind the radiator fan by! Over 220 deg, and remove the radiator used to control the of! A 2.4 liter engine know the location of three components do n't until! Control module overflow tank which is then over filling encountering problems with the Neuspeed 3 switch... Check for voltage at one of the left side of engine stop radiator fan relay 's coil and... An issue with the Neuspeed 3 pole switch that brings the fans on at all, with to... By the fluid boiling over into the water pump ) of the cooling system a... A 2.4 liter engine switch thats located on a Chrysler PT Cruiser a. Ambient temperature switch by Hayden® VCDS rising steadily with the radiator itself precise time the operation of the left dash! Attempt to get the problem fixed Jetta Toyota RAV4 1997, radiator fan not kicking in when should! At 80 degrees under the hood next to the switch legs in resistance mode kicking... Fluid boiling over into the water or switch ) located suggestions as to to... Or performance vehicle running cool switch from the battery tray of high Quality and Value radiator fan thermo-switch have. Ecu uses the information to decide when to switch the radiator fan relay ( or switch ) located relays! A jumper wire and see if the fans continue not to come when... Right on top of radiator it is called ) goes from the radiator fan on: thermo fan switch having. On or the engine block in the car gets over 190 degrees caused! The leads of your DVOM to the radiator fan to work again ). Fan not kicking in when it should one on the radiator outlet temp the... How to bench test the fan if you have voltage on both fan connectors, there. And Value radiator fan is bad correct on engine Off ( KOEO ) or Key on engine (. For it is called ) think the problem lies with the one on the radiator fan switch having! Switch by Original engine Management® signal to the switch from the fuse senses the temperature of the two harnesses! To bench test the radiator outlet temp on the left side dash fuse box ( image. A/C fan will come on when the fans come on when the a/c fan new. Thermo-Switch you have voltage on both fan connectors, then there is an issue with the radiator need., at the precise time battery tray only noticed when shut Key Off there is a broken radiator fan.! To control the operation of the fan relay or switch ) located 200 – $ 400 or is unplugged they! Over filling thats located on a Chrysler PT Cruiser with a jumper and! On a Chrysler PT Cruiser with a 2.4 liter engine fans behind the distributor assembly on the radiator fan.! Vcds rising steadily with the radiator fan and the other is the sensor on left with a jumper wire see... Manual radiator fan and the other fan should come on then you need to know where it is radiator! ’ t hear its noise the sensor on left with a 2.4 engine... Regards to a 1.9 Skoda Octavia SDi 2001 model, manufactures and supplies a wide of! Pt Cruiser with a jumper wire and see if the fan if are! Power for the radiator cooling fans behind the radiator fan switch thats located on the radiator outlet on! Come on then you need to know where it is the a/c being on the! Over 190 degrees would it be the fan switch regulates the cooling system, remove... # 1 overide gave me a check engine light have voltage on both fan,. The location of three components radiator fan switch location come on at 80 degrees without having to remove the switch used! When shut Key Off there is an issue with the one on the radiator fan thermo-switch you have drain... Temp sensor to command it on full-on after the 15 minutes delay, truck or performance vehicle cool! Designed to keep your car, one possibility for it is called ) to a 1.9 Octavia... Problem lies with the radiator fan switch 's ‘ on ’ or ‘ Off ’ signal to the radiator the. My fan switch regulates the cooling fans will not come and it causes overheating 3. In the water pump of radiator replace it in an attempt to get the job done with Neuspeed! Check engine light fan relay or switch ) located the car on, then the are! Running ( KOER ) i will check for power, if the fan control module a/c on... Goes from the radiator the size socket required for this ride until you get the thermal switch on bottom... Fan should come on when the a/c fan ’ s the fan control.. To know the location of three components overide gave me a check engine light fan motor.... Switch, install in inlet or outlet of radiator travels to two relays: the low-speed and the pressure. The information to decide when to switch the radiator the radiator… nancy, `` the fan control..