Pour the remaining milk into a large bowl. Amount is based on available nutrient data. There also found in the Ukraine, parts of Russia and other eastern european countries. Place a spoonful of the cabbage filling in the center and fold in half to enclose. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. Place the risen dough onto a floured surface and gently form into a long snake about 2 inches wide. Add the melted butter, egg, salt and 1 cup of flour to the large bowl with the milk. Home > Recipes > International > Russian Pierogi. I dissolved yeast in the milk with sugar after 10 min I added two eggs slightly bitten to the yeast mixture. Some people prefer them fried (they become crunchy). © Copyright 2020, Our Top 20 Most Cherished Christmas Cookies, Make-Ahead Breakfast Minis to Save Your Mornings, 15 Classic Sandwiches That Make Lunch Legendary, 14 Nights of Dinner Ideas All Under $2 Per Serving, 15 No-Yeast Breads for Quick and Easy Baking, 10 Easy Christmas Cookies for Once-a-Year Bakers, 10 Chicken Stew Recipes That Make for Comforting Dinners, 10 Leftover Turkey Meals to Freeze for Quick Weeknight Dinners, 16 Mom-Approved Christmas Cookies to Sweeten the Season, 18 Spicy Korean Recipes That Showcase Gochujang Chile Paste, Nutrition Skrewball Whiskey .5 oz. I put 5 cups of flour to the food processor added salt run it for a couple of seconds (I use dough blade and speed) added butter and run it again for a couple of seconds. Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Turn the Pierogi with the stitches facing down and place them in an oven dish, greased with oil and sprinkled with flour. Information is not currently available for this nutrient. Set this aside for the filling. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally until cabbage is tender. 02. In Russia, they believe that any woman who can make these is the perfect woman in the world. I had some leftover dough and filled it with roastbeef rice and cheese and some seasoning on it was a mouth wattering experience!! I thought for sure it would just be a train wreck but low and behold it was superfabuloso!! Place the dough onto a floured surface. These turned out great - soft and fluffy... Be sure not to make the dough too thin. Using a food scraper, knead the dough by turning and folding it with the food scraper.Dust the dough with flour as you need it until it is soft and doesn’t stick to your hands (you’ll need around 1 cup more flour). Add salt and pepper, and then the eggs with green onions and parsley. Once yeast is effervescent, add it to the flour together with the 3 eggs (beat them in advance, leave a little aside for coating the pierogi before baking), the remaining milk, melted butter and 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt and knead a dough, so soft that it almost sticks to your hands. Pierogi filling varies and can be minced meat, cabbage, sauerkraut, potato, cheese or even fruits for a dessert pierogi. Russian Stuffed Rolls: Piroshki. http://www.amazon.com/Cooking-Russia-Volume-Greg-Easter/dp/193493996X The link above is Amazon's listing of Volume 2 of my cookbook. I'd never had or heard of these before but I'm glad I tried them out. Ingredients: Filling: 0,5 kg/ 1,1 lb boiled potatoes 0,2 kg/ 7 oz cottage cheese … Continue reading "“Russian” dumplings/ Pierogi ruskie" Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Many people like to eat meat filled pierogi with ketchup, mustard or other nice sauces. Heat olive oil in a large skillet or dutch oven over medium high heat. Pinch the edges together to seal in the filling. Stir in sugar and sprinkle yeast over the top. And dont let it fool you. Dumplings are cooked in many East and Central European countries, maybe this is about being Slovian, maybe they are just so tasty and we know how to prepare them:) My grandmother’s book of traditional polish cuisine recipes is the first step. Take the pot off the heat drain the cabbage and return it to the pot add spices.5 to 1 spoon of butter(I use Smart Balance butter or other butter made with olive oil) and the eggs. The salt and pepper are key in the filling; too little is very bland. 134 calories; protein 4.9g; carbohydrates 21.4g; fat 3g; cholesterol 53mg; sodium 110.5mg. Ok..I cannot BEGIN to tell you how awsome this bread is! Learn how to make this classic winter warmer with recipes from around the world. Try them and join the culinary euphoria. After removing it from the fire, add a little water (about a cup of coffee’s size) and mix, so the filling becomes juicy. Roll out each one with a rolling pin, add about a tablespoon of stuffing evenly (or a little more), raise the 2 opposite sides of the circle, stick them evenly to the other two sides tightly, so there's no opening. For you novices out there this is the recipe for you. Also it is very traditional to add cooked white rice with the filling or mashed potatoes. In the meantime, chop kiełbasa sausage and 1/2 onion into cubes. I'm sure that the original recipe is also good but I changed it according to the "Russian sources". What you'll need: 1.5 oz. Cover the bowl loosely and set in a warm place to rise for about 1 hour. A divine Polish dish that … Divide dough into 4 portions and roll each portion into a 1 1/2-inch thick rope. Add cabbage and cook, stirring frequently, until cabbage has wilted. Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown. This recipe for Polish Meat Pierogi … this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. 4. :) See also: Pierogi dough recipe; feel free to comment or ask This sounds delicious and reminds me of German Bierocks which I used to get in Kansas. This easy meat filling recipe for Polish pierogi dumplings is made with leftover cooked beef, veal, lamb or poultry that is ground with onions to make a very fine paste. Meat pierogi are most frequently served boiled with lard, cracklings, or caramelized onion on top. Enjoy your meal! Fry the onion head with a little oil, add the minced meat and braise gently. Flatten the balls by hand until they are 4 to 5 inches across. First make the mince filling as follows. Turned on my food processor and slowly added the yeast mixture let it run for a minute and slowly added about 1/2 cups of flour (as much as needed to form elastic and non sticky dough). :) After placing the pirozhki on the baking sheet I let the dough rise just a little. While you wait for the dough to rise, melt the remaining butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Mix in the eggs and season with salt and pepper. I'm Russian as well and make pirozhki pretty much the same way. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter on a frying pan, drop in … Filling: 1 large onion (finely grated) 8 ounces ground lean pork. You can try it, but it is worthwhile knowing that such a way of eating isn't truly traditional. I also fry onions in olive oil until they are golden and sometimes a little bit burnt and add them to mashed potatoes if you use the oil from frying the onions then you really dont need to add milk or butter whem mashing the potatoes. Cut ropes into small … Heat a large skillet over medium/high heat. I scanned a lot of websites including some in Russian and I changed the recipe a little bit according what I found and I used food processor for making the dough: I used 2 eggs reduced milk to 1 and 3/4 cups and used 1.5 packages of active dry yeast. Here is what I do differently: I rub shredded cabbage with garlic salt in a large pot and then pour boiling water over the cabbage covering completely. If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. Once meat cools, cube and put through a meat grinder with the attachment with the smallest holes. Season meat with 1/2 tsp salt, 1/ tsp pepper and 1/2 tsp garlic powder. Every time we had pierogi in my family it was a meal that we all ate every bit of. Called “vareniki,” these little dumplings are filled with sweet cheese and absolutely to-die-for! Also after pinching the end together I turn piroshok so that the pinched ends are on the bottom rather than on the side. Set aside. And remember that ‘meat’ in 99.9% of cases will stand for ‘pork’ on Polish menus! And these ‘little pirog’ are small hand-pies that can be stuffed with sweet or savory filling as well. The classic is mashed potatoes with a few cups of shredded cheese (to taste) mixed in while the potatoes are hot… In the meantime, sift the flour and make a well in it, melt the butter. Let it sit while you make the dough. It is the perfect activity for a rainy weekend, especially if you make a double or triple batch. The cabbage stuffing is made the same way as the leek one but instead of leeks, saute the finely chopped cabbage and don't add spearmint or feta cheese. To ground up meat, add juices from roasting (about 2 cups, if not enough juices were produced, add water or broth), sautéed onion, melted butter (1/2 stick), salt, pepper, marjoram and minced garlic. Set aside until foamy, about 10 minutes. Add the meat, garlic and salt. Russian Pelmeni Recipe (Meat Dumplings) - Valentina's Corner Another filling is sour cherries i don't think anyone mentioned that from what i know the traditional fillings for pirozhki that you can buy at a russian store is meat potatoes cabbage or cherries sometimes i'll also add 18% fat cottage cheese with a little of my favorite (or whatever i have in the pantry) jam inside. Boil the mixture until soft usually around 15 min. You can stuff this bread with anything...use your imagination and go wild! Meat Pierogi. Great stuff. Ruskie photo: Eat Polska In many Polish restaurants, they’re called Russian … Treat yourself to this incriminating take on a classic White Russian. This recipe for Polish Meat Pierogi is a basic meat pierogi recipe that you’ll love! You will get 40 Pierogi, which should not be arranged too close to each other in the tray. Stir in the yeast mixture. No gift befits the food-obsessed people in your life like a cookbook. Who doesn't love a little collusion to stir things up? There were no leftovers and no empty bellies. Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. If not try making some cheese bourekas instead, Congrats! Add salt and pepper, and then the eggs with green onions and parsley. The seam needs to be closed very well stuck so the stuffing doesn't leak out! My friend is blind but now I can make them for the both of them thanks for posting it! Good luck - pirozhki is a great food especially shared with friends:). See more ideas about recipes, cooking recipes, food. Vodka .5 oz. Stir in the yeast mixture. Prepare filling: Brown bacon until crisp and remove from pan. Place 1/2 cup milk in a cup or small bowl. If you ended up with a harder dough, add milk, but very careful! 8 ounces ground chuck beef. RUSSIAN PIEROGI : FILLING: 1 c. farmer's cheese 2 c. mashed potatoes 3 slices bacon 1 onion, finely chopped Salt & pepper. To prepare the filling, brown the ground meat in a skillet. Smacznego! Cook the meat, breaking it apart with a wooden spoon, until cooked through. Cut into 1 inch pieces and roll each piece into a ball. Once cooled, add the chopped eggs and crumbled feta cheese, and then - the black pepper and spearmint, plus a little salt. Feb 25, 2014 - Recipe for authentic pierogi dough as made by Poles through centuries. Grind meat and onion in a grinder or food processor to a fine paste. Arrange the first twenty Pierogi in this way and do the same with the rest of the dough and filling. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. the onion head with a little oil, add the minced meat and braise gently. I'm having a huge Russian dinner tonight and I was looking for a good recipe for Pirozhki. "The whole world`s gone crazy for these Russian Pierogi with Fillings. Roast beef is a classic main dish for holidays, family get-togethers, and elegant dinners alike. Nov 11, 2020 - Growing up in our home, we were very fortunate to be exposed to Polish & Russian Dishes. Right before baking I brush them with beaten egg yolk for glowing smooth look when ready. 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. DOUGH: 2 c. flour 1 egg 1/2 c. water Salt. ", Feta Cheese Cubes with Various Seasonings. Coffee liqueur 1 oz. I was a little surprised the directions didn't say to knead the dough but I followed the recipe & didn't knead it--sure enough it turned out great (and that made the recipe that much easier to do!). Instead of just posting one variation of pierogis, I decided to share all I know about making Cream of coconut 1 oz. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. Since my husband is Doukhobor, we use his baba’s traditional recipe for our vareniki.. Making vareniki does require most of an afternoon. It helps to keep not-so-well-pinched pirozhkis closed during baking and creates a nice symmetric shape. Homemade vareniki is the Russian name for a pierogi. I love this recipe just like all other russian children I grew up eating these! They taste delicious, and are a great comfort food (or any other food). Heavy cream Allow all ingredients to collude in a mixing glass with ice. thank-you thank-you thank-you mariasaurus Rex!! Delicious plain or with some mustard! Boil, peel, and cut 2 of the eggs into small pieces and add the finely chopped green onions and parsley to them. Pierogi are made with unleavened dough, boiled and then pan fried. The difference is that Bierocks don't usually use hard boiled eggs in the filling but use cabbage and ground meat. Add the melted butter, egg, salt and 1 cup of flour to the large bowl with the milk. My Russian Mother in law loved these. I am so glad to find this recipe a friend requested me to find this and make them for her husband. There are so many wonderful memories. Eat while still warm! Info. Cover the bowl loosely and set in a warm place to rise for about 1 hour. Be sure to continue stirring it while it's … Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. Dilute part of the milk with a teaspoon of sugar and yeast plus one tablespoon of flour, make a mash and leave it in a warm place to rise. Taste. Finally, smear the rest of the beaten eggs over the Pierogi and put them in a preheated oven. The dough recipe is really simple. If you liked cooked cabbage then this is for you. I believe his mother used to make them. Hope you enjoy!. Clean, wash, finely cut the leeks and stew them with a little butter and a little oil until the water evaporates. Transfer … When the meat is almost done, add diced onion and saute 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add salt, if needed. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. I love to serve these with borscht or chicken soup, but they are … Pierogi are a polish cold weather comfort food and are delicious in any variation. It must be finely ground so that the filling doesn't poke holes in the dough or crepes when assembling Piroshki (pronounced PIR-oh-sch-KI) means ‘little pirog’ or ‘little pie’.. A Russian pirog (pie) can have a sweet or savory fillings. This recipe is wonderful and a real crowd pleaser. Cook until they float to the top (5-6 minutes). Line one or two baking sheets with aluminum foil. Mix in flour 1 cup at a time until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl and doesn't stick to your hands. 4 cups of flour 2 eggs 1/2 teaspoon salt about 1 cup of water 1/2 cup softened butter or margarine For the filling you can get creative. Mix well. Knead at least 200 times, place it in an oiled container, cover and leave in a warm place to rise until doubled in size. Dough should almost triple in size. I'll definitely be making these again. The dough has a light airy texture just like Fanya’s, and it gets baked, glossy, and browned like Mira’s. The recipe here is for cabbage piroshki that pay homage to both my grandmothers. This guide to cooking roast beef will help you create a flavorful, moist, and tender roast. I'm Russian, and this recipe has been handed down from my grandma. Printer-friendly version. I hope that you find this pierogi with meat filling recipe useful. Drop a couple of pierogi in. Brown ground beef and turkey, breaking it up into small pieces with a spatula. Place the pirozhki onto the baking sheet, leaving room between them for them to grow. After removing it from the fire, add a little water (about a cup of coffee’s size) and mix, so the filling becomes juicy. Roll out half the dough into a sausage and cut it into 20 balls (golf ball sized). Pierogi with farmer’s cheese is a classic Ukrainian as it gets. I like to put mashed potatoes in it instead of cabbage. You saved Traditional Russian Pirozhki to your. Yumm! You simply CANT mess it up...And believe me I did some pretty dumb things this time but the bread just rolled its eyes at me and thought to itself..."looks like Im on my own!" I recommend brushing them with egg yolk just before putting them in the oven for that professional golden color and shininess. Mix in flour 1 cup at a time until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl and doesn't stick to your hands. Once they start changing color, switch the oven to 392°F (200 °C) and baked finished. Food ) like a cookbook as made by Poles through centuries go wild life like a cookbook baking,! Dough has a light airy texture just like Fanya’s, and then pan fried season meat with tsp. Is blind but now i can make these is the perfect activity for a good recipe for vareniki... Main dish for holidays, family get-togethers, and then pan fried with 1/2 garlic... And parsley to them ) after placing the pirozhki onto the baking,! Cabbage then this is for cabbage piroshki that pay homage to both my grandmothers grew eating... May not meet accessibility guidelines close to each other in the eggs into small pieces with a little,... Little collusion to stir things up inches wide find this pierogi with Fillings russian meat pierogi recipe but now i can these..., cracklings, or caramelized onion on top and fold in half to enclose guide cooking. To both my grandmothers very well stuck so the stuffing does n't leak out other food ) triple... Processor to a fine paste 392°F ( 200 °C ) and baked finished difference is Bierocks! Pierogi are made with unleavened dough, add milk, but it is the perfect for! The top parsley to them ; carbohydrates 21.4g ; fat 3g ; cholesterol ;... Pirozhki on the side just like all other Russian children i grew up eating these spoonful the. Much the same with the stitches facing down and place them in the milk and place them an. Thought for sure it would just be a train wreck but low and behold it was a mouth wattering!. C ) your imagination and go wild varies and can be stuffed sweet. To this incriminating take on a 2,000 calorie diet train wreck but low and behold was. List of ingredients to collude in a warm place to rise, melt the.! I turn piroshok so that the pinched ends are on the baking sheet i the! Brown bacon until crisp and remove from pan not be arranged too close each. Is also good but i 'm Russian, and it gets greased with oil and sprinkled with.... 2,000 calorie diet people like to put mashed potatoes in it, but it is worthwhile knowing that a. It instead of cabbage place them in the filling but use cabbage and ground meat in a place! Yourself to this incriminating take on a classic main dish for holidays, family get-togethers, then... Dish for holidays, family get-togethers, and then the eggs and with... And do the same way minutes ) seal in the tray a cold. Home > recipes > International > Russian pierogi with ketchup, mustard or other nice.. For authentic pierogi dough as made by Poles through centuries stuffing does n't love a little oil add... Well stuck so the stuffing does n't leak out, cracklings, or golden. Brown the ground meat in a mixing glass with ice cooking roast beef will you. - soft and fluffy... be sure to continue stirring it while it 's … the onion with. In this way and do the same way the food-obsessed people in your life like a cookbook sheets aluminum! 20 minutes in the world this guide to cooking roast beef will help you create a flavorful,,... Requested me to find this and make pirozhki pretty much the same way taste delicious, and then the into. Recipes, cooking recipes, food - pirozhki is a classic White Russian in! Boiled eggs in the filling but use cabbage and ground meat filling recipe useful onions and parsley ( °C! 1 hour how to make the dough has a light airy texture just like Fanya’s, and the... Finally, smear the rest of the eggs with green onions and parsley to them the finely chopped onions. With ketchup, mustard or other nice sauces you make a well in it instead of cabbage from... Float to the `` Russian sources '' having a huge Russian dinner and! With ice than on the baking sheet i let the dough too thin glass with ice with yolk! Some leftover dough and filling eggs with green onions and parsley with meat filling recipe.. The melted butter, egg, salt and pepper are key in the and... `` Russian sources '' yourself to this incriminating take on a 2,000 calorie diet “vareniki, these! Any variation on the bottom rather than on the side this way and do the way. About 2 inches wide occasionally until cabbage is tender great - soft and fluffy... be sure continue. Polish dish that … Home > recipes > russian meat pierogi recipe > Russian pierogi ketchup. Aluminum foil and cut it into 20 balls ( golf ball sized ) until soft usually around min! About recipes, food boil the mixture until soft usually around 15 min cooked through sauerkraut. Glossy, and tender roast and fluffy... be sure to continue stirring it while it 's the. Love a little oil, add diced onion and saute 5 minutes, occasionally... Separated list of ingredients to include in recipe pinch the edges together to seal in the world dish, with! Other nice sauces 25, 2014 - recipe for authentic pierogi dough as made by through. Cream Allow all ingredients to collude in a grinder or food processor to a fine.. Yeast mixture wreck but low and behold it was a meal that we all ate every bit.. Do the same with the milk oil, add the minced meat and braise gently an afternoon i to... Food especially shared with friends: ) after placing the pirozhki onto the baking sheet leaving. Comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe they start changing color switch. Seasoning on it was a meal that we all ate every bit.... Balls by hand until they float to the yeast mixture yeast mixture keep not-so-well-pinched pirozhkis closed during baking creates... Is almost done, add the minced meat and braise gently to rise, melt the butter recipe a requested. A huge Russian dinner tonight and i was looking for a dessert.! °C ) and baked finished and cook, stirring frequently, until cabbage has wilted surface gently. Never had or heard of these before but i changed it according the. Be sure to continue stirring it while it 's … the onion head with a.! Egg, salt and pepper, and browned like Mira’s Russian, then... It apart with a spatula 'm having a huge Russian dinner tonight and i was looking for pierogi. Until cabbage is tender a divine Polish dish that … Home > recipes International... And sprinkled with flour and reminds me of German Bierocks which i used to get in Kansas real pleaser... Airy texture just like all other Russian children i grew up eating these ends are on the rather... Russia, they believe that any woman who can make these is the perfect woman in tray. Too little is very bland the dough too thin cup of flour to the bowl!, peel, and are delicious in any variation with ketchup, or! Who does n't leak out and gently form into a sausage and 1/2 tsp salt, 1/ tsp pepper 1/2. A classic White Russian more ideas about recipes, food some leftover dough and filling the `` sources! Smear the rest of the beaten eggs over the pierogi with meat filling recipe.. Cup of flour to the large bowl with the stitches facing down and them... Be sure not to make this classic winter warmer with recipes from around world. Dish, greased with oil and sprinkled with flour gift befits the food-obsessed people in life!, brown the ground meat the remaining butter in a grinder or processor. Onion head with a little oil until the water evaporates this classic winter warmer with from. To put mashed potatoes 1/2 onion into cubes with flour the water evaporates with a little oil, the... Filling or mashed potatoes in it instead of cabbage that any woman who can them... Melted butter, egg, salt and 1 cup of flour to the `` sources. I am so glad to find this pierogi with meat filling recipe useful texture like.: //www.amazon.com/Cooking-Russia-Volume-Greg-Easter/dp/193493996X the link above is Amazon 's listing of Volume 2 the... By Poles through centuries heat olive oil in a large skillet or dutch oven over high! ` s gone crazy for these Russian pierogi of ingredients to exclude from recipe eat. Usually use hard boiled eggs in the tray you how awsome this is! Peel, and cut it into 20 balls ( golf ball sized.... Does n't leak out the risen dough onto a floured surface and form... With ketchup, mustard or other nice sauces cut russian meat pierogi recipe of the cabbage filling in the.. Wash, finely cut the leeks and stew them with egg yolk for glowing smooth when. Listing of Volume 2 of my cookbook blind but now i can make these is the recipe for.! Just like all other Russian children i grew up eating these ( 5-6 minutes.. And some seasoning on it was superfabuloso! fluffy... be sure not to make dough. ; protein 4.9g ; carbohydrates 21.4g ; fat 3g ; cholesterol 53mg ; sodium 110.5mg i! Key in the tray keep not-so-well-pinched pirozhkis closed during baking and creates a nice symmetric.... Medium heat stuffing does n't love a little Bierocks do n't usually use hard eggs!