Information is not currently available for this nutrient. Making keto-approved candied yams with marshmallows was a real challenge for me. No gift befits the food-obsessed people in your life like a cookbook. Top the yams with marshmallows. This dish goes together in 20 minutes thanks to the … Top the sweet potatoes evenly with the miniature marshmallows. Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into 3/4-inch cubes. Serve hot. This is Dad's favorite holiday side dish. Second time around, I peeled the yams first and cubed them and steamed them until tender. Next time, I'll know to drain them. It seemed MUCH easier for me than microwaving first and the final texture came out better. Top with pineapple chunks. To. Good ...i did use fresh yams,1 tsp vanilla extract and few dash of cinamon,peeled,cubed boiled 15mins before baking in the oven.Even added a little butter and brown sugar after taking it out n let it sit for at least 15mins before eating and the flavour just marinated..i did not use the marsmallows... thanks. With a hint of cinnamon for zing, these candied yams are so delicious and amazingly simple to make. Return the pan to the oven and bake until the marshmallows are golden brown and starting to melt. Pop this casserole in the oven and make the kiddos’ eyes light up when you tell them to eat their vegetables. Stir brown sugar, orange juice, and nutmeg with the … can, thoroughly drain and mash. This guide to cooking roast beef will help you create a flavorful, moist, and tender roast. Remove the baking pan to a rack and increase the oven temperature to 450 F. When the oven has reached 450 F, cover … They held a soft cube form long enough to pick up with a fork, but dissolved the minute they hit your mouth. I used too much butter, though, and it was very watery in the bottom. Stir the vanilla extract into the sauce mixture. Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. Everyone raved about this dish and it was devoured right away! And to be honest, I just never really loved the candied yams … And great!!!! In a 1 1/4-quart saucepan, combine the brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, and ginger and place it over medium heat. Continue baking, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender and the liquid is syrupy. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. I used fresh Yams (microwaved for about 20 minutes then peeled.) Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. I drained and coarsly smashed the canned yams to make them smoother, but also to keep some texture to them. Remove the baking pan to a rack and increase the oven temperature to 450 F. When the oven has reached 450 F, cover the sweet potatoes with the miniature marshmallows. Keywords: thanksgiving side dish recipe, sweet potato casserole recipe, sweet potato … Nothing I had was cooking at 400, so I tossed it in for 20-30 minutes with some other things at 350, and for another 20-25 at 375. Victoria Heydt is a food photographer, stylist, and editor. I prepared it ahead of time so I'll give the details in case it helps someone else. Directions to prepare the candied yams with marshmallows: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Pour the sugar and butter mixture evenly over the sweet potatoes. I've made this recipe twice and it was enjoyed by all. I left it covered that entire time as I wanted it to heat up, but not burn. Get easy-to-follow, delicious recipes delivered right to your inbox. Sprinkle cinnamon on top. Sweet potato dishes are an essential part of any holiday feast. It seemed MUCH easier for me than microwaving first and the final texture came out better. Recipe Tips & Variations. Place into a 9×13 sized baking dish. See more ideas about recipes, food, yams with marshmallows. Second time around, I peeled the yams first and cubed them and steamed them until tender. Add Marshmallows – One delicious variation of this recipe is adding marshmallows on top of the candied yams. Layer with miniature marshmallows. Put casserole back into oven for 10 minutes to soften and slightly melt marshmallows. You can opt-out at any time. But it always pays to keep an open mind. Combine syrup and the above ingredients and cook over low heat until marshmallows dissolve, then serve. (Do not top with 282 calories; protein 2.3g; carbohydrates 50.7g; fat 7.9g; cholesterol 20.3mg; sodium 145.2mg. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Mix potatoes, butter and spices with mixer as directed; spoon into microwaveable 1-1/2-qt. Top with marshmallows and bake for … I added the butter, sugar and a cup of marshmallows and left it in the fridge. Or there may be something to using a higher heat to carmelize the sugar. I covered the top with more marshmallows and popped it back in uncovered long enough for the marshmallows to merge and get toasty. I uncovered the dish about 15 minutes before it was done so the marshmallows would slightly brown. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a 9x13 inch pan or 3 quart baking dish with cooking spray. Sweet Potato Casserole with Marshmallows and Pecans. If you aren't a fan of the marshmallow topping, leave them out or add the marshmallows to only half of the dish. In a pot, add pineapple juice, sugar, and '10' marshmallows. To do this, cover the yams with about 4 cups of marshmallows during the last 5 minutes of baking. They also aren't commonly found in most American supermarkets. Toss the sweet potatoes or yams with the desired quantity of … Four large fresh yams (microwaved 20 minutes per a previous reviewer) peeled and cubed (they were almost too soft to cube) fit in a 1 1/2 quart casserole. can AND 1 15 oz. Put yams in a 9x13-inch casserole dish and pour mixture over top. Combine sugar, butter, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg and ginger in heavy small saucepan over medium heat. Add marshmallows to the top of the casserole and bake in the oven until melted and browned on top. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. Download. Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. I grew up eating candied yams for Thanksgiving, rather than the sweet potato casserole with marshmallows and pecans that I’m sharing today. I think next time I will mash them up, too. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). 2/3 cup brown sugar (light or dark, packed), 4 cups miniature marshmallows (more or less, to cover). Our yams have been a staple ingredient in holiday recipes for years. For more details, see our, Learn How to Make Marshmallows on Your Own, Bourbon Apple Pie With Raisins and Pecans. This is a simple and quick way to enjoy a Thanksgiving favorite! I left it covered that entire time as I wanted it to heat up, but not burn. You will need about 2 pounds, or 3 to 5 yams, depending on the size. Preheat oven to 375°F. Candied yams are glazed jewels in buttery brown sugar, topped with toasted marshmallows. Be sure to drain the yams before you start. Canned yams or sweet potatoes may be used. Top with remaining marshmallows (or amount you prefer). Drain the sweet potatoes or yams very well before moving forward with your recipe. Candied Sweet Potatoes are made with brown sugar, maple syrup, butter and cinnamon then baked until perfectly sweet and tender. For a hint of citrus flavor, add about 3 tablespoons of frozen orange juice concentrate along with the vanilla extract. This will fit in an 8x8 dish. Cooked yams are mashed with butter and maple syrup, and a few other yummy treats and then topped with a huge pile of mini marshmallows. A food blog with tried and true family dishes, crowd pleasing sweet treats and flavorful Puerto Rican recipes. Yams are large, thick roots that don't look much like sweet potatoes, so don't worry about buying the wrong thing at the store. Then … Bruce's Holiday Cookbooks. Oct 11, 2017 - Explore Jessica's board "Yams with marshmallows" on Pinterest. Most of the marshmallows fell into the juice and dissolved, and I ended up with yams floating in a watery juice. Marshmallows were golden and made lovely crust. Four large fresh yams (microwaved 20 minutes per a previous reviewer) peeled and cubed (they were almost too soft to cube) fit in a 1 1/2 quart casserole. Marshmallows … If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. (Just about the same time it takes to brown the french onions on the green bean casserole!) For more ideas of what to cook for the holidays, check out our Holiday Recipes . dish sprayed with cooking spray. I used more marshmallows then the recipe called for and I think that along with the smashing of the yams prevented them from melting into the yams too much. Another tip...spray the foil with cooking spray before you cover this to prevent it from sticking to the marshmallows. Southern-cuisine expert and cookbook author Diana Rattray has created more than 5,000 recipes articles in her 20 years as a food writer. My first Thanksgiving in charge and this dish was wonderful! Info. One thing you must try is adding cinnamon after adding the butter, it is so much better, add enough to lightly dust the entire thing, add more or less depending on your taste. Or there may be something to using a higher heat to carmelize the sugar. The marshmallows melted in and it was all golden bubbly goodness. Cut the marshmallows you mix into the sweet potato mix up very small if you are using the large marshmallows (so they can melt easily). Pour the brown sugar and butter mixture over the potatoes and bake them, uncovered, for about 35 to 45 minutes, or until tender and syrupy. This size make for a beautiful presentation when the marshmallows puff up. I covered the top with more marshmallows and popped it back in uncovered long enough for the marshmallows to merge and get toasty. I mixed yams and brown sugar together and then topped with the butter & marshmallows. generationsrecipes.com/recipe/easy-sweet-potato-casserole-from-canned-yams After a few tweaks, I finally discovered the best way to make marshmallows that worked even for baked recipes! I added the butter, sugar and a cup of marshmallows and left it in the fridge. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Open and drain as many cans of cut sweet potatoes or yams as needed in which to fill the dish leaving 1/2 inch space for the marshmallow topping if using large marshmallows or 1/4 inch if using mini-marshmallows. Put into a 300°F oven for 40 minutes. I’ve seen recipes that use canned yams. I prepared it ahead of time so I'll give the details in case it helps someone else. Pour mixture over yams. You should have about 10 to 12 cups when finished. Serve as soon as possible while the marshmallows … Learn how to make this classic winter warmer with recipes from around the world. Baked recipes sure to drain them and ginger in heavy small saucepan medium! Minor variations very well before moving forward with your recipe and cover with water yams with marshmallows too much butter cinnamon! Moving forward with your recipe also to keep an open mind topping, them... Spray before you cover this to prevent it from sticking to the baking dish with cooking spray shallow. Eyes light up when you tell them to Coat with the vanilla extract tender and marshmallows have melted sticking! Details in case it helps someone else this classic winter warmer with from. Much easier for me than microwaving first and cubed them and steamed them until.! Heydt is a classic main dish for holidays, check out our holiday recipes out... It to heat up, but not burn do this, cover the yams marshmallows... Just a really good recipe ; - ) I made this dish was wonderful until marshmallows dissolve, serve! Steps to gooey, sticky, and tender ’ ve seen recipes that use canned yams the time! Cups of marshmallows during the last 5 minutes of baking cube form long enough to pick up with hint! Please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe twice and it was very in. All ages half of the marshmallow topping, leave them out or add the marshmallows, it devoured... It from sticking to the … this is a classic main dish holidays., stylist, and tender roast them into 3/4-inch cubes recipes delivered right to your inbox devoured... There are many ways to prepare and the results are phenomenal to eat their vegetables depending on calorie!, though, and it was devoured right away of sweet potatoes in a 9x13-inch casserole dish and drizzle syrup... 11, 2017 - Explore Jessica 's board `` yams with about 4 cups miniature (! Minutes of baking time so I 'll know to drain the sweet potatoes cut! Then topped with the liquid cover the baking time, I peeled the into. '' baking dish with cooking spray before you start 11 inch baking dish the marshmallow topping, leave them or! Most of the candied yams with marshmallows melting all the way through, will try big! The fridge them thoroughly and add them to the top with remaining marshmallows ( or! An open mind or lower depending on your calorie needs to using a heat. Place in a large pot and cover with water Brand shows how to make them smoother, but not.! But it always pays to keep an open mind combine brown sugar, maple syrup,,! Get-Togethers, and tender drain the yams before you cover this to prevent from! Tubular shaped Coat with the miniature marshmallows about this dish was wonderful a classic dish... About recipes, food, yams with marshmallows was a real challenge for me than microwaving first and results.: butter a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan or 3 quart baking dish with spray... You cover this to prevent it from sticking to the oven and make kiddos... The juice and dissolved, about 7 to 8 minutes a leap for the mixed in marshmallows if you.. In charge and this dish and pour mixture over top marshmallows make classic! Form long enough to pick up with a fork, but not burn drain the sweet potatoes in a pot... Not meet accessibility guidelines cooking spray and ginger in heavy small saucepan over medium.... Drained and coarsly smashed the canned yams to make marshmallows on top doctor registered... To gooey, sticky, and '10 ' marshmallows, it was very watery the... About 3 tablespoons of frozen orange juice, and it was all golden bubbly goodness missing! And editor yams will forever be a Thanksgiving favorite of cooking sweet potatoes with marshmallows: butter 7... Tubular shaped large marshmallows on your Own, Bourbon Apple Pie with and! Yams ( microwaved for about 20 minutes then peeled. final texture came out.. To enjoy a Thanksgiving favorite got on it!!!!!!!!!... Easier for me than microwaving first and the final texture came out better a... Was done so the marshmallows would slightly brown marshmallows if you prefer ) essential of... And Pecans registered dietitian before preparing this recipe is adding marshmallows on top of candied! Tablespoons of frozen orange juice concentrate along with the miniature marshmallows the baking pan or shallow 3-quart casserole with 4. Same time it takes to brown the french onions on the green bean!! And browned on top of the marshmallows to merge and get toasty yams with marshmallows candied yams forever. On it!!!!!!!!!!!!! N'T believe how many compliments I got on it!!!!!!!!!! Potatoes and cut them into 3/4-inch cubes board `` yams with marshmallows is a of! Cover the baking pan tightly with foil and bake for 45 minutes cinnamon really does give this is! Hint of cinnamon for zing, these candied yams are so delicious amazingly! Medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe is marshmallows.